Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting image borders
Completely new to gimp here, so I've been trying to do this for about an hour and it was a complete failure. I understand this is a complex software so the solution might be simple but not intuitive for begginers. I want to remove the sides of the image so the edges of the image are as close as possible to the phone .

[Image: device-mobile.png][Image: device-mobile-2.png]

I want to remove the red highlighted zones and then export the new image with alpha layer in the back. I know there should be like a million tutorials about this, but I couldn't find any adressing this issue directly. Any help?

I attached the original image that i want to edit just in case.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

As you guessed there are several ways, especially for a png with transparency.

For that type of image:
Image -> Crop to Content
or
Image -> Zealous Crop

An alternative where there is a distinct transparent border.
Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to Selection
Edit -> Copy
Edit -> Paste as -> New Image

All of those in 30 seconds Wink https://i.imgur.com/E5CrYFe.mp4
(03-23-2021, 05:28 PM)rich2005 Wrote: As you guessed there are several ways, especially for a png with transparency.

For that type of image:
Image -> Crop to Content
or
Image -> Zealous Crop

An alternative where there is a distinct transparent border.
Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to Selection
Edit -> Copy
Edit -> Paste as -> New Image

All of those in 30 seconds Wink https://i.imgur.com/E5CrYFe.mp4

I can't thank you enough! the video was very usefull.
Again, thank you very much.
I downloaded and opened the attachment. To crop out the extra space, you can use IMAGE: Crop to Content. This crops to a square, leaving little transparent triangles in the corners of the image. The downloaded image already has an alpha channel [the layer name is NOT in bold]. Hope this is some help.
(03-23-2021, 05:33 PM)neurolurker Wrote: I downloaded and opened the attachment.  To crop out the extra space, you can use IMAGE: Crop to Content.  This crops to a square, leaving little transparent triangles in the corners of the image.  The downloaded image already has an alpha channel [the layer name is NOT in bold].  Hope this is some help.

Thanks man, already tryed that solution like sugested earlier by another user and it worked perfectly!