Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drawing Tablet has Limited Reach
Hey everyone! This is kind of a weird one... 

I'm using an HP Spectre x360 hooked up to an external monitor as a drawing tablet. GIMP is open on the external monitor and I'm drawing on the HP like you would a Wacom tablet.

Everything is working, except the drawing area (I'm not sure what the right term is) is limited to a lower section of the GIMP canvas. Below is a screenshot showing where I'm able to draw. If I move the view, zoom in, or out, I can draw on those areas but it's really inconvenient to be that limited. 

Is there anyway that I can adjust the available drawing area? Since I'm not using an actual Wacom tablet, I don't have the standard "screen area" or "tablet area" settings that I feel like might fix this.

[Image: pQnxo0E.png]

Thanks for your help!
Everyone deserves a reply, even a non-committal reply Wink

From the specs your HP has a 4k display. (nice but expensive) Is the external monitor 4k as well ?

This a very-very long shot. If you go to Edit -> Preferences -> Display There is an entry for Monitor Resolution. Gimp will have (probably) detected it automatically for the HP . It might be different for external monitor. You can try a manual entry and a guess or there is a Calibrate function involving measuring a line on the external monitor.

edit A look at the specs, 13.3" diagonal, 4K UHD (3840 x 2160), if the monitor resolution gives a value of say 300 try a manual setting of 150 Restart Gimp. it might work and if not just return the original setting.

Keep visiting, maybe someone has better ideas.
(11-12-2021, 08:25 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Everyone deserves a reply, even a non-committal reply Wink

From the specs your HP has a 4k display. (nice but expensive) Is the external monitor 4k as well ?

This a very-very long shot. If you go to Edit -> Preferences -> Display  There is an entry for Monitor Resolution. Gimp will have (probably) detected it automatically for the HP . It might be different for external monitor. You can try a manual entry and a guess or there is a Calibrate function involving measuring a line on the external monitor.

edit A  look at the specs, 13.3" diagonal, 4K UHD (3840 x 2160), if the monitor resolution gives a value of say 300 try a manual setting of 150 Restart Gimp.  it might work and if not just return the original setting.

Keep visiting, maybe someone has better ideas.

I really appreciate you jumping in!

I gave that a try, but no luck. I have found that if I duplicate my screens, everything works exactly as it should. So my guess is that you're right, and it has to do with the differing screen sizes and pixel density. 

The monitor I'm using is a Samsung 24" (S24C450D) for reference. I'll keep messing with the settings, but at least I can duplicate the screens and save my neck in the meantime!

Thanks again for your help.