Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
path tool problems
I've started having problems when using the pen tool. I usually click and drag to get smoother arcs when using the tool. I've done it this way for 25 years with both photoshop and Gimp. Now, most of the time I'm working, the anchor comes off the line, or the handles come off of the anchor at angles making a mess of my path. I then have to remake the path with just clicks and get a unsmooth path as a result. Any ideas?

roger901
(11-18-2019, 08:03 PM)roger901 Wrote: I've started having problems when using the pen tool. I usually click and drag to get smoother arcs when using the tool. I've done it this way for 25 years with both photoshop and Gimp. Now, most of the time I'm working, the anchor comes off the line, or the handles come off of the anchor at angles making a mess of my path. I then have to remake the path with just clicks and get a unsmooth path as a result. Any ideas?

roger901

When you depress the shift key while dragging a handle, the opposite handle becomes its symmetric and this naturally gives a smooth point.

There is also a "smooth-path" plugin from Marko Peric that smoothes a path by find the smoothest path that goes through all the anchors.  Hard to find. Maybe Rich as a usable Windows version (this is compiled C).
(11-18-2019, 11:26 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: There is also a "smooth-path" plugin from Marko Peric that smoothes a path by  find the smoothest path that goes through all the anchors.  Hard to find. Maybe Rich as a usable Windows version (this is compiled C).

I tried this in 2.8 but didn't like it. It smooths the path based on angle. Using selected nodes would be far more usable. I have not tried it in 2.10

Attached Files
.zip   SmoothPath.zip (Size: 130.7 KB / Downloads: 118)
Quote:..the anchor comes off the line, or the handles come off of the anchor at angles making a mess of my path...

Maybe this is happening. The difference between moving a control point and and creating a new point is very small, move outside the circle (or square for the tangents) and the tool icon changes. This happens to me, and ctrl-z to back-off is your friend. I do not know any way to adjust the change-over point.

Alternatives: 
Already mentioned is smooth path, useful in certain circumstances. 
Another is a plugin to create a path from an actual painted in line.

Uses the Autotrace application so is a bit tricky to set up. Still using Win XP and Gimp 2.8 as your profile? I would have to dig out an old VM to check if possible.
Thanks guys...I will try your suggestions.

roger901