Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free select tool
Hi,

Im trying to cut out an object with the free select tool (lasso). After I was halfway through I saved the file. But the free select tool (lasso) automatically connected my last selection point with the first where I started and closed the selection even though I was only halfway through.This cut my picture in half. Is there any possibilty to open up again a closed/finished selection?  I know that I can reverse each selection step using backspace as long as the selection isn't closed. But that doesnt work anymore.
Quote:After I was halfway through I saved the file. But the free select tool (lasso) automatically connected my last selection point with the first where I started and closed the selection even though I was only halfway through.This cut my picture in half.

This is a normal behavior : when you save your file, if the active tool is not "commited", gimp automatically commit it ; for the free select tool, it connects the first point with the last to produce a closed shape and creates a selection which is saved into the file.

Quote:Is there any possibilty to open up again a closed/finished selection?

Unfortunally no. Once committed, the points and segments are definitly lost.

If you have a laborious selection to create, use the Path tool instead.
So if you have to save the file and close gimp before the path is finished, the path will be saved, and you will be able to edit it later.
Finally, use the button Selection from Path in the tool options to create a selection.
Choose the 'lasso' tool, press the 'shift' key on your keyboard and by clicking on the picture you can go further with your selection. You can also use the other selection tools to select more and combine with your selection. As far as I know, you can't get the selection points from the 'lasso' tool, you can always correct or make a more selection. If you press the 'CTRL' button, you can subtract from the selection you already made. This way you can build up and correct a selection. By pressing ' shift and CTRL' result in a intersection of selections.
You can also save a selection to a channel and load it for using later on, gimp menu : Select / Save to Channel
(05-07-2020, 01:56 PM)GIMPMEUP Wrote: Hi,

Im trying to cut out an object with the free select tool (lasso). After I was halfway through I saved the file. But the free select tool (lasso) automatically connected my last selection point with the first where I started and closed the selection even though I was only halfway through.This cut my picture in half. Is there any possibilty to open up again a closed/finished selection?  I know that I can reverse each selection step using backspace as long as the selection isn't closed. But that doesnt work anymore.

No but you can add another selection to what you have already done. See https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Painle...tion-tools