Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fresh start. Tmp & Swap folder.
Just installed GIMP! Excited to use this program.

Going through all of the preferences I noticed there is the option to select a temporary file location and swap folder. I understand it's never good to take up space and write in the same hard disk as your OS.

ExclamationAre the default locations for tmp files and swap folder for the best or should they be located elsewhere? I, as well as many others out there have multiple hard drives and I don't mind designating these files to another disk as long as it keeps everything running smoothly.

Thanks! Appreciate any advice and tips.
(02-06-2018, 07:22 PM)suduliu7 Wrote: Just installed GIMP! Excited to use this program.

Going through all of the preferences I noticed there is the option to select a temporary file location and swap folder. I understand it's never good to take up space and write in the same hard disk as your OS.

ExclamationAre the default locations for tmp files and swap folder for the best or should they be located elsewhere? I, as well as many others out there have multiple hard drives and I don't mind designating these files to another disk as long as it keeps everything running smoothly.

Thanks! Appreciate any advice and tips.

If you have enough RAM(*) there won't be any swap (and when Gimp swaps, things get really slow wherever you are swapping).

(*) The really important setting is the "tile cache size", which is the max amount of RAM Gimp will use before it swaps (it has its own swapping mechanism). Set it to your RAM size minus whatever is needed to keep the rest of the system running (more or less the RAM your freshly booted system uses).
Thanks for the reply.

As of rn it's set to a default of 8.4gb. I have 16gb of RAM. Generally I've only seen my RAM usage reach up to 6gb of internet multitasking and music apps, monitored through Afterburner. I should be fine with these settings right?
Right.