Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From '/' (search actions) to menus
Question 
Hey guys,

Is it possible to make some filters, found via the '/' or '?' key, to be accessed via menus?

Many times, especially after a long time without using certain filters, I simply forget their name, and when I have to
editing something that requires these filters I only find them if I have their name written down somewhere.

When the forgotten filter is one found in a menu, even without remembering its name I recognize it after browsing the menus looking for "something familiar".

However, via the '/' (or '?') key the difficulty is greater. I know what I want from the filter but how can I type it without remembering its name?

I tried typing * (asterisk) in the 'Search Actions' search prompt (/), but the environment is not friendly at all.

Filters like Small Tilles and Blinds are among the ones I always forget the name of. But I think these are of type .exe and not .py or .scm.

Anyway, is it possible to access these filters - Small tilles and Blinds via menus?

If yes how?

Grateful!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(02-16-2024, 04:56 PM)Krikor Wrote: Hey guys,

Is it possible to make some filters, found via the '/' or '?' key, to be accessed via menus?

Many times, especially after a long time without using certain filters, I simply forget their name, and when I have to
editing something that requires these filters I only find them if I have their name written down somewhere.

When the forgotten filter is one found in a menu, even without remembering its name I recognize it after browsing the menus looking for "something familiar".

However, via the '/' (or '?') key the difficulty is greater. I know what I want from the filter but how can I type it without remembering its name?

I tried typing * (asterisk) in the 'Search Actions' search prompt (/), but the environment is not friendly at all.

Filters like Small Tilles and Blinds are among the ones I always forget the name of. But I think these are of type .exe and not .py or .scm.

Anyway, is it possible to access these filters - Small tilles and Blinds via menus?

If yes how?

Grateful!
See: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-2-10-2...rts-Blinds
Yeah, as previous post. Making sure they work with a samj - portable. The only one I have unpacked is Gimp 2.10.32 

Unzip the attached, put the blinds.exe and tiles-small.exe in your samj-portable preferences / plugins folder.

Blinds registers in Filters -> Distorts and Small Tiles in Filters -> Map

Attached Files
.zip   blinds-stile-win64.zip (Size: 48.92 KB / Downloads: 22)
You might not like it, and I might be out of context, but here are my thoughts:
GIMP is removing some filters, like Maximum RGB, Blinds, Small tiles, etc... that you can only call by default with the search "/" in 2.10, thus you need to adapt some how, because with GIMP 3 you will get stuck Wink

A solution I found is G'MIC, or the use of a different native GIMP's filter
For instance
Blinds is easy with a different native filters like the Grid (Filters > Render > Pattern > Grid...), or Checkerboard (Filters > Render > Pattern > Checkerboard) and you can even get transparent blinds with the Erase mode, or even a simple Filters > Map > Recursive Transform... with a vertical/horizontal line on a new layer will do the job as well.
The even better side is that on all those GEGL filters, not only you got the full canvas preview, but you can save your settings as presets... and the next time it's just a 1 click filter.

G'MIC has also an option for Blinds with Arrays & Tiles > Tiled Isolation and got the same displacement "problem" than the original Blinds plugin

About Small Tiles, G'MIC does even a greater job than the original GIMP's filter, as there are no aliasing with G'MIC Wink (Arrays & Tiles > Array [Regular])

On a side note Query Primary in G'MIC replaces Maximum RGB
In G'MIC there is another advantage, you can put those filters with settings of yours in your Faves and then once in your faves you can rename them with a name you like Wink
Patrice
Thumbs Up 
(02-17-2024, 04:12 AM)PixLab Wrote: You might not like it, and I might be out of context, but here are my thoughts:
GIMP is removing some filters, like Maximum RGB, Blinds, Small tiles, etc... that you can only call by default with the search "/" in 2.10, thus you need to adapt some how, because with GIMP 3 you will get stuck Wink

A solution I found is G'MIC, or the use of a different native GIMP's filter
For instance
Blinds is easy with a different native filters like the Grid (Filters > Render > Pattern > Grid...), or Checkerboard (Filters > Render > Pattern > Checkerboard) and you can even get transparent blinds with the Erase mode, or even a simple Filters > Map > Recursive Transform... with a vertical/horizontal line on a new layer will do the job as well.
The even better side is that on all those GEGL filters, not only you got the full canvas preview, but you can save your settings as presets... and the next time it's just a 1 click filter.

G'MIC has also an option for Blinds with Arrays & Tiles > Tiled Isolation and got the same displacement "problem" than the original Blinds plugin

About Small Tiles, G'MIC does even a greater job than the original GIMP's filter, as there are no aliasing with G'MIC Wink (Arrays & Tiles > Array [Regular])

On a side note Query Primary in G'MIC replaces Maximum RGB
In G'MIC there is another advantage, you can put those filters with settings of yours in your Faves and then once in your faves you can rename them with a name you like Wink

programmer_ceds, although the link indicated does not address my question (the possibility of having these filters in menus and not just via the key ( '/', ' ?' ) was still an interesting read.

rich2005, I have these files (blinds.exe and tile-small). They are in the folder C:\Gimp-2.10.28_Portable_32-64bit-Win\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

If I move them from this folder to the Preferences / Plugins folder (the one where I have my plugins) it will be enough for them to end up in the Filters - Distorts (Blinds) and Filter - Maps (Small Tiles) menus or I necessarily need to download the attached files?

Quote:You might not like it, and I might be out of context, but here are my thoughts:

PixLab, you're right, I really don't like it, but there's nothing I can do about it.

The Blinds filter is definitely more immediate and straight to the point, without the need for much adjustment.
But the options you pointed out seem to produce the same after correct adjustments. I particularly preferred Grid in this sense.

Small Tiles is what I always used. I never thought about finding a replacement.
But the G'MIC options (Array [Regular]) and also (Array Mirrored (I ended up digging around and discovered this other option that Small Tiles has but that Array Regular doesn't) are really excellent.

Quote:About Small Tiles, G'MIC does even a greater job than the original GIMP's filter, as there are no aliasing with G'MIC Wink (Arrays & Tiles > Array [Regular])

I just can't agree on that. The results I obtained with G'MIC were slightly softer and less sharp than those obtained via Small Tiles.

Regarding Maximum RGB, I noticed that you already mentioned this filter in other topics. It must be something interesting but I don't really know how to use it or for what purpose it would be useful.

I also compared the Maximum RGB obtained via the ("/") key and that obtained via G'MIC Query Primary.
The G'MIC version has the Medians option, in addition to the Maxima and Minima options, which in itself seems like a great advantage.

programmer_ceds, rich2005 and PixLab, thanks for your help!
(02-17-2024, 11:05 PM)Krikor Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 04:12 AM)PixLab Wrote: About Small Tiles, G'MIC does even a greater job than the original GIMP's filter, as there are no aliasing with G'MIC Wink (Arrays & Tiles > Array [Regular])

I just can't agree on that. The results I obtained with G'MIC were slightly softer and less sharp than those obtained via Small Tiles.

Nothing is best than a screenshot comparison, click on the image to see them in full Wink

Original image before Small tiles, edges are... "normal"

After applying the GIMP's small Tiles, Edges are... strongly aliased, no respect of the transition if I can say that

G'MIC filter Array [Regular], edges are... "normal" to me, not aliased.

(02-17-2024, 11:05 PM)Krikor Wrote: Regarding Maximum RGB, I noticed that you already mentioned this filter in other topics. It must be something interesting but I don't really know how to use it or for what purpose it would be useful.

I also compared the Maximum RGB obtained via the ("/") key and that obtained via G'MIC Query Primary.
The G'MIC version has the Medians option, in addition to the Maxima and Minima options, which in itself seems like a great advantage.

Max RGB depend conditions, my most use is to quickly draw a mask when max colors come in ready to "detour", it can also happen (rarely) to change a hue / saturation with opacity, a guy on GC use it to count green pixels on his land... Wink

Example drawing a mask on the corals:

coloring the sky and sea

Patrice
(02-17-2024, 11:05 PM)Krikor Wrote: rich2005, I have these files (blinds.exe and tile-small). They are in the folder C:\Gimp-2.10.28_Portable_32-64bit-Win\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

If I move them from this folder to the Preferences / Plugins folder (the one where I have my plugins) it will be enough for them to end up in the Filters - Distorts (Blinds) and Filter - Maps (Small Tiles) menus or I necessarily need to download the attached files?

The files that come with Gimp 2.10 do not have any registration in their code. The devs removed it but kept the plug-ins presumably for some backward compatibility.

The replacement files do contain the registration data, so will show in the menu structure. Put them in your Gimp user profile (for samj portable, that is the Preferences / Plug-ins) and they will supercede the originals when Gimp scans for plugins.
(02-18-2024, 05:53 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 11:05 PM)Krikor Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 04:12 AM)PixLab Wrote: About Small Tiles, G'MIC does even a greater job than the original GIMP's filter, as there are no aliasing with G'MIC Wink (Arrays & Tiles > Array [Regular])

Nothing is best than a screenshot comparison, click on the image to see them in full Wink

Original image before Small tiles, edges are... "normal"

After applying the GIMP's small Tiles, Edges are... strongly aliased, no respect of the transition if I can say that

G'MIC filter Array [Regular], edges are... "normal" to me, not aliased.

(02-17-2024, 11:05 PM)Krikor Wrote: Regarding Maximum RGB, I noticed that you already mentioned this filter in other topics. It must be something interesting but I don't really know how to use it or for what purpose it would be useful.

Max RGB depend conditions, my most use is to quickly draw a mask when max colors come in ready to "detour", it can also happen (rarely) to change a hue / saturation with opacity, a guy on GC use it to count green pixels on his land... Wink

Example drawing a mask on the corals:

coloring the sky and sea

Okay, you are absolutely right!
The irregular edges are definitely much more pronounced when I use Small Tiles.

Oh... this Maximum RGB looks really interesting. I'll research more about him.

Thx for all the clarifications! ?

(02-18-2024, 08:18 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 11:05 PM)Krikor Wrote: rich2005, I have these files (blinds.exe and tile-small). They are in the folder C:\Gimp-2.10.28_Portable_32-64bit-Win\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

The files that come with Gimp 2.10 do not have any registration in their code. The devs removed it but kept the plug-ins presumably for some backward compatibility.

The replacement files do contain the registration data, so will show in the menu structure. Put them in your Gimp user profile (for samj portable,  that is the Preferences / Plug-ins) and they will supercede the originals when Gimp scans for plugins.

rich2005, things didn't work here...  Sad
As instructed, I placed your .zip files from post #3 in my plugins folder.

I restarted Gimp, but nothing in Distorts or Map.

I restarted a second time, and again nothing in the menus.

Could it be some kind of conflict with the files that are in ...Gimp-2.10.28_Portable_32-64bit-Win\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins ?

Thx!
(02-18-2024, 09:51 AM)Krikor Wrote: .......big snip.....

Could it be some kind of conflict with the files that are in ...Gimp-2.10.28_Portable_32-64bit-Win\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins ?

I do not know. I can only report what works for me.

Are two files blind.exe (52800 B) and tile-small.exe (59960 B) from the zip in Preferences / plugins as that earlier screenshot ?  Unzipped, no extra folder(s).

Just tried again. Win10 VM samj 2.10.32 (it is the only one I have) and those register in the menus.

You could try
Deleting in Preferences the pluginrc file and let Gimp rescan your plugins
Is the Preferences / Plug-ins folder top of the plugins path?

but probably you are stuck without those old plugins.
(02-18-2024, 10:45 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(02-18-2024, 09:51 AM)Krikor Wrote: .......big snip.....

I do not know. I can only report what works for me.

Are two files blind.exe (52800 B) and tile-small.exe (59960 B) from the zip in Preferences / plugins as that earlier screenshot ?  Unzipped, no extra folder(s).

Yes, they are installed as instructed and together with all the other plugins and I did not create folders for these files. (see image)

(02-18-2024, 10:45 AM)rich2005 Wrote: You could try
Deleting in Preferences the pluginrc file and let Gimp rescan your plugins

Hmmm... I haven't tried that yet. I will make that attempt after this post.

(02-18-2024, 10:45 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Is the Preferences / Plug-ins folder top of the plugins path?

Right after installing these two files, the situation was not like this.
But before I rebooted for the second time, I changed exactly that order, putting Preferences/plugins at the top.
So the answer is yes. (see image)

PS: Ohh Oh... There is a discrepancy here.

I generally re-read my texts before posting, either because they are done via an online translator, or because there may be any other type of error.
I noticed that the path that should be at the top is the one with the Preferences\plugins\PluginsUso folder (which is actually where I store my third-party plugins).

I will correct this now after this post.
(02-18-2024, 10:45 AM)rich2005 Wrote: but probably you are stuck without those old plugins.
I didn't understand this part well...

But I think I have these "old plugins", I think they are visible in the previous image.

rich2005, Thx!

1- After my previous post, I again placed the path Preferences\plugins\PluginsUso at the top of the list.

As seen in the previous image, this path was the room from top to bottom.
Restart Gimp, but with no effect, the filters (Small Tiles and Blinds) did not appear in the menus.

However, I noticed that the path I had placed at the top was again in the same position as in the previous image.
Even though after I changed this order and received the warning that I would have to restart Gimp for the change to take effect, I gave ok and restarted Gimp.

2- I changed the position of the Preferences\plugins\PluginsUso path to the top;
I closed Gimp;
I removed the pluginrc file;
I restarted Gimp again (This time it took a while to load);

The filters (Small Tiles and Blinds) still do not appear in the expected menus.

The curious thing is that I checked the order of the paths in the Edit - Preferences - Folders - Plugins menu and the path Preferences\plugins\PluginsUso persists in not being at the top of the list.

After reopening Gimp, it returns to the previous position and not to the top.

News!

Solved, filters now appearing in their appropriate menus.

Solution found for my problem:

When I noticed that for some reason the path in which I store my third-party plugins (those that I install manually) was not at the top of the list, even after several restarts, I decided to change these filters to the folder that was located at the top ...et voilà!

Thank you very much rich2005!! ?