Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuzzy select antialiasing
(05-25-2021, 02:45 AM)CtrlAltDel Wrote: Rich, this one is aggravating me.  I followed your directions, seemingly to a T, and can't reproduce the results.  The path is just as jagged as the original image.  Can you figure out what I am doing wrong?

See here:

https://imgur.com/pH2xu9t

Right, I understand now.  I should have read the thread a little more thoroughly.  Thanks.
If the to-path doesn't work, you still have the free-select option. Depending on the situation, free-select might work better. Here's an example. Middle: original image. Left: from free-select. Right: from to-path. I have used free-select and manual touching up to produce good enough result for release to end-users.

Go back and read the first couple of posts Smile
Feather and fuzzy edge is no good for small objects. This smudges the edge and makes it blurry.
(05-25-2021, 12:12 PM)GimpUser1234 Wrote: Feather and fuzzy edge is no good for small objects. This smudges the edge and makes it blurry.

One of the problems with multi answer threads is forgetting about the original question.

Quote:When I do a select using the Fuzzy select tool and then do a bucket fill, the edge is solid. I need anti-aliased edge. Is this possible using the the fuzzy tool?

Your answer would be - no.

Then further on

Quote:...the shapes I am working with is too complex for the free-select tool.

ie no free select tool. Your alternatives ?
The alternative is grin and bear with free-select. It's the only option when no other options will do it. The fault is with GIMP. It' perfectly capable of doing anti-aliasing on an arbitrarily shaped object. The selection outline accomplished with free-select is identical to fuzzy select. Fuzzy select has an anti-alias option. Maybe it's a place holder for something yet to be implemented. I have no way to know and asked.
(05-25-2021, 12:33 PM)rich2005 Wrote: One of the problems with multi answer threads is forgetting about the original questions
This thread has been of tremendous help to me.
I've been frustrated with the limitations of  Filters>Enhance>Antialias, and now.... thanks to your creative spark, I no longer feel quite so limited in that regard.