Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP Taking Too Long to Start (Fonts)
(10-13-2017, 09:12 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Which package is that Gnome font manager? The KDE one usually dies when I ask it to disable a font.

Looks like I slipped a Debian package in Wink https://packages.debian.org/jessie/font-manager

I see there is a later version from sid, might give that a try.

edit:Looks like the version from stretch works https://packages.debian.org/stretch/font-manager Tried in a Kubuntu 16.04 VM, newer versions run into unmet dependencies.
Very different interface, not compatible with the earlier version so try first. Do not need to use the font manager once all those foreign fonts are disabled. Might not bother upgrading.
Thank you so much. That worked like a charm.  I deleted my font cache, all files to recycle bin in case there was a problem. And the second load and after a restart, third load of gimp was only a few seconds.

Interesting thing is, Firefox is fast again. And certain websites that always seemed to almost lock the system, they are fast too. Huh. I'd been trying all kinds of advice over the last few years to speed firefox up. Even dropped some plugins and it might have been the font cache the whole time.

Great!
If GIMP is looking for its own files it should already know where to find them.
Here it seems GIMP is looking in all the trash cans of the neighborhood in search for usable files
without caring what app they belong to. That's what the people who look in trash cans usually do
and why would GIMP want to be such a citizen ?  Why can't it be equipped with a reasonable
set of assets to begin with ?  Angry
(02-06-2018, 12:11 PM)gunnar-gimp Wrote: If GIMP is looking for its own files it should already know where to find them. Here it seems GIMP is looking in all the trash cans of the neighborhood in search for usable files without caring what app they belong to. That's what the people who look in trash cans usually do and why would GIMP want to be such a citizen ?  

Gimp (or more accurately, the GTK support library it uses) isn't looking for files everywhere. It is just converting the fonts installed system-wide into something it can use. Yes, it takes time, but it should happen only once.

(02-06-2018, 12:11 PM)gunnar-gimp Wrote: Why can't it be equipped with a reasonableset of assets to begin with ?  Angry

Even if Gimp came with its own set of fonts, people would want to use the fonts they use in other tools.
Status update:

This is a known bug. This will be fixed in 2.8.24.

In the meantime, see here for a possible workaround
(03-03-2018, 12:47 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: This is a known bug. This will be fixed in 2.8.24.

In the meantime, see here for a possible workaround

I had this problem. The cache folder had 9 files in it.

I fixed it as follows:
Renamed the cache folder to cacheBAK. Restarted. Problem fixed. (A new cache folder was created with 4 files.)
I had the same issue and decided I could do without the fonts as I only use GIMP to edit images and GIMP was taking forever to start

I renamed the fonts folder in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\etc

Bingo, GIMP starts up extremely quickly now.
(04-30-2018, 08:25 AM)argolian Wrote: I had the same issue and decided I could do without the fonts as I only use GIMP to edit images and GIMP was taking forever to start

Surprising since that folder is empty by default, and that the fonts that are worked on are your system fonts.
(04-30-2018, 08:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 08:25 AM)argolian Wrote: I had the same issue and decided I could do without the fonts as I only use GIMP to edit images and GIMP was taking forever to start

Surprising since that folder is empty by default, and that the fonts that are worked on are your system fonts.

Mine wasn't it was full of files.