Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G'MIC for GIMP 2.10.18 not working
I have recently installed the new 2.10.18 version of GIMP, but now the G'MIC plugin no longer works. When I launch GIMP, I get pop-ups saying the entry point cannot be found in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\libgmodule-2.0-0.dil 

I noticed that the set up wizard for G'MIC 2.9 does not install the plugin in C:\Program Files, but in a file in C:\Users\[name].

Is this the reason the plugin isn't working? 
If so, what is the solution?

Side note - I had been using 2.8 version and G'MIC worked just fine, then updated to GIMP 2.10.6, and faced the same problem but did not pay attention to it then. I need to use the G'MIC plugin now, so if anyone has suggestions I'd be grateful.
First, the gimp_gmic_qt installer correctly installs to the user Gimp profile, which in Windows is the hidden folder C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins That is not your problem.

That folder not showing ? Then see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...windows-10

A big plugin, looks like this in a Win 10 : https://i.imgur.com/X3pd5A6.jpg

Quote:Side note - I had been using 2.8 version and G'MIC worked just fine, then updated to GIMP 2.10.6, and faced the same problem but did not pay attention to it then. I need to use the G'MIC plugin now, so if anyone has suggestions I'd be grateful.

Reading between the lines, I suspect this is one of the few times that a Gimp reinstall is required. The Gimp 2.10.x installation works like this.

1. If it finds a Gimp 2.8 installation, it uninstalls it, and writes the files to the same place C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 What are not uninstalled are any additional files that might have been added such as an old version of gmic. They remain to cause problems. The Gimp 2.8 User profile C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 also remains to cause problems.

2. The first time Gimp 2.10 is run it creates a user profile, C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10 folders for all the user resources: brushes / fonts / scripts / plug-ins

3. While creating a Gimp 2.10 user profile, any resources from an existing Gimp 2.8 profile are copied across to the new Gimp 2.10 profile. This can cause problems.

What to try first:
Rename the Gimp 2.10 user profile as a backup ie. C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10-backup
Rename any Gimp 2.8 user profile as a backup. ie. C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8-backup
Start Gimp 2.10 and let it make a new clean default user profile that contains none of the old files. Install the gimp_gmic_qt plugin. See if it works. Now have a look in those -backup folders and copy any useful resources over. Useful because an lot of Gimp 2.8 scripts / plug-ins no longer work.

If that fails, reinstall Gimp:
Rename the user profiles as above.
Uninstall Gimp
Almost sure to be a C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 folder remaining. Delete it.
Get the latest installer from http://www.gimp.org install Gimp. Then the same as before, run to make a user profile, install gmic, check if ok. Copy over any resources from old profiles.