Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP 2.10.20 flame plugin crashing
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and hope my question is addressed in the right way.
I'm using Gimp 2.10.20 (shortly upgraded from 2.10.12) and have a problem with the rendering filter "Flame".
Everytime, when I try to render something, Flame.exe crashes with an unspecified error.
I already tried to use different layers and apply the filter there, but it doesn't help.
As soon as I select the layer with the gradient flame.exe crashes. Even when I try to apply the filter directly to the background image, it crashes.
Error message is:

using gegl copy
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe: LibGimpBase-WARNING: gimp-2.10.exe: gimp_wire_read(): error
GIMP-Error: Plug-in crashed: "flame.exe"
(C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\flame\flame.exe)
The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.

I checked the permissions on the installation directory and changed them for all users to "full permissions", without any progress.
I tried to verify, if it is related to the size of the image - nope (no difference between a small image with a few millimeters or a large with 40x50 cm).
Any of you facing the same issue?

There was a bug in 2.8.x with the flame plugin, which could be worked around using new layers to apply the filter.
That doesn't work in 2.10.12 and 2.10.20.

If you need additional information, please let me know.

Notebook: Win10 64bit, 8GB RAM, 250 GB Harddrive

Can anyone help out here?
Thanks
Daniel
Tried out the flame plugin in Gimp 2.10.20 in both linux and Win10 (VM) and works as expected. Adjusting the sliders, into Edit and change speed, flames there. On new layers, going back to exiting layers - all working.

My guess (only a guess) is settings inherited from the previous 2.10.12 installation. First try: disable the Gimp user profile which keeps settings between installations.
Rename it to (maybe) C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP-backup Start Gimp up, it will create a new default 'vanilla' userprofile. Check the flame plugin for errors.

If you still get that error, very rarely needed but a new Gimp installation. Uninstall Gimp. There are always bits remaining with the Windows instalation so delete C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\ (often requires a Windows restart). Delete the Gimp user profile. Reinstall Gimp 2.10.20 as a brand-new installation.
(09-29-2020, 09:23 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Tried out the flame plugin in Gimp 2.10.20 in both linux and Win10 (VM) and works as expected. Adjusting the sliders, into Edit and change speed, flames there. On new layers, going back to exiting layers - all working.

My guess (only a guess) is settings inherited from the previous 2.10.12 installation.  First try: disable the Gimp user profile which keeps settings between installations.
Rename  it to (maybe) C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP-backup  Start Gimp up, it will create a new default 'vanilla' userprofile. Check the flame plugin for errors.

If you still get that error, very rarely needed but a new  Gimp installation. Uninstall Gimp. There are always bits remaining with the Windows instalation so delete C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\ (often requires a Windows restart).  Delete the Gimp user profile. Reinstall Gimp 2.10.20 as a brand-new installation.

Hi,

I now did all the mentioned things.
1. renamed the old user profile - error still persists
2. uninstalled GIMP and deleted the user profile folder
3. complete new installation of GIMP 2.10.20 - error still persists

Nothing helped so far. I have no idea…

Daniel

(09-29-2020, 09:48 AM)danwes1975 Wrote:
(09-29-2020, 09:23 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Tried out the flame plugin in Gimp 2.10.20 in both linux and Win10 (VM) and works as expected. Adjusting the sliders, into Edit and change speed, flames there. On new layers, going back to exiting layers - all working.

My guess (only a guess) is settings inherited from the previous 2.10.12 installation.  First try: disable the Gimp user profile which keeps settings between installations.
Rename  it to (maybe) C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP-backup  Start Gimp up, it will create a new default 'vanilla' userprofile. Check the flame plugin for errors.

If you still get that error, very rarely needed but a new  Gimp installation. Uninstall Gimp. There are always bits remaining with the Windows instalation so delete C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\ (often requires a Windows restart).  Delete the Gimp user profile. Reinstall Gimp 2.10.20 as a brand-new installation.

Hi,

I now did all the mentioned things.
1. renamed the old user profile - error still persists
2. uninstalled GIMP and deleted the user profile folder
3. complete new installation of GIMP 2.10.20 - error still persists

Nothing helped so far. I have no idea…

Daniel

Now, after a complete crash during the startup of GIMP, flames plugin is running as expected. Very weird!
Let's see, how it develops…

Thanks for now.
Daniel