Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP 2.10.24 layout change (on Linux)
I have three questions together really, I apologise in advance - I want to move a box, delete an item and dock a box to another.

I suffer from poor vision and the layout of GIMP was set up for me by a friend. Recently, the Tool options disappeared and in its place "Core pointer" appeared where it used to be (I never had that before). In this situation I was unable (for example) to change the ratio of the rectangular select tool (or even to enable/disable fixed ratios), change brush styles/sizes, fonts or anything that would normally be done from the Toolbox Options. I found on the forums here a recommendation to enable, then disable, single window mode to overcome this, it appears not to have only happened to me. While this has worked, it has put the Toolbox on the right hand side of the options (see the attachment), presumably because its place has been taken by "Core Pointer." In "Configure Input Devices" I am unable to deactivate Core Pointer. How can I move the Toolbox to the top, delete Core Pointer and dock the Tool Options to the bottom of the Toolbox? I want something like this, but with floating windows:

https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-conce...indow-mode

I decided against resetting everything to default because, as I remember, everything came up in black and white, which I simply cannot see. Please don't suggest dragging and dropping, something which doesn't work on my system (it never has - the boxes will move but not dock), but if anyone can help me with any other suggestions it would be very much appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:I want something like this, but with floating windows:  https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-conce...indow-mode

I decided against resetting everything to default because, as I remember, everything came up in black and white, which I simply cannot see. Please don't suggest dragging and dropping, something which doesn't work on my system (it never has - the boxes will move but not dock), but if anyone can help me with any other suggestions it would be very much appreciated.

You can reset the window layer to default without affecting the theme and tool settings 
Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management -> Reset Saved Windows Positions to Default Values

That does take you back to single window mode, but now the tool options tab is under the toolbox.
In each dock there is a little left pointing arrow which opens a menu where tabs are opened and closed. Under the tool box, close the tabs except for tool options. Note: Always leave at least one tab open. Closing the all the tabs also closes the dock. 

The same on Right side docks, Add the ones you want and close the ones not required. Then go into multi window mode.

All that in 3 minutes:  https://youtu.be/dxFgNpvjoXY

(01-25-2022, 05:02 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:I want something like this, but with floating windows:  https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-conce...indow-mode

You can reset the window layer to default without affecting the theme and tool settings 
Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management -> Reset Saved Windows Positions to Default Values

That does take you back to single window mode, but now the tool options tab is under the toolbox.
In each dock there is a little left pointing arrow which opens a menu where tabs are opened and closed. Under the tool box, close the tabs except for tool options. Note: Always leave at least one tab open. Closing the all the tabs also closes the dock. 

The same on Right side docks, Add the ones you want and close the ones not required. Then go into multi window mode.

All that in 3 minutes:  https://youtu.be/dxFgNpvjoXY

Rich2005, thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I pressed the button to Reset Saved Windows Positions to Default Values in Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management. I received a message to say that the changes will take effect on restarting GIMP. The good news is that the "Core Pointer" entry has disappeared. However it did not reset to single window mode and the Toolbox Options remain to the left hand side of the Toolbox itself. I checked the Single Window Mode and then unchecked it again, it has made some of the tools disappear from view as they are in a column only one icon wide with no scroll bar. This renders some functions of GIMP unusable. Sad

I don't know if it's related, but I have also lost the ability to zoom and pan the image I'm working on using the Control or Shift key together with the mouse wheel. I wondered if perhaps I had had a a disk failure but there is nothing I can see in dmesg or the syslog regarding any hardware issues.

Quote:I received a message to say that the changes will take effect on restarting GIMP.

Did you restart Gimp ?

Try putting into single window mode and try that again.
click on that, Ok and restart Gimp
for that not to work means you are doing something wrong
(01-25-2022, 07:19 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:I received a message to say that the changes will take effect on restarting GIMP.

Did you restart Gimp ?

Try putting into single window mode and try that again.
click on that,   Ok and restart Gimp
for that not to work means you are doing something wrong

Hi, and thanks again for the prompt reply.

I did the reset again as you stated and restarted GIMP. This time, everything is back as it should be as far as the layout is concerned, thank you very much for that. I am left with the mouse problem, and I cannot even use it to open a file. As soon as the "Open Image" dialogue opens, the mouse stops working (the pointer moves as expected but the buttons stop working). If I use the keys to navigate to a file, I can open it and then the mouse is OK but zooming and moving around the image, as I said before, using the mouse in conjunction with the shift or control keys, doesn't work. I have discovered that if I try to Export or Save, the mouse buttons stop working in the "Export Image" or "Save Image" dialogue boxes that subsequently open (EXCEPT for the close button in the top right hand corner). I can navigate around these dialogues using the keyboard but it's awkward to do. Again, the mouse pointer moves but the buttons stop working.

This just makes no sense at all...

PS I have tried removing GIMP and reinstalling, but nothing has changed. I have tested the function of the mouse in Office and other apps and it is fine.
Quote:...PS I have tried removing GIMP and reinstalling, but nothing has changed. ...

That is a real Windows user desperation move. Does not work for linux either since all the settings are held in your Gimp user Profile ~/.config/GIMP/2.10 ( a hidden folder, enable hidden files in your file manager)

I honestly do not know if this will work but go into that folder and rename the file devicerc say to devicerc-bak That holds mouse (and graphics tablet if there is one) settings.

Close Gimp and restart. A new default devicerc file is made. See if that makes any difference.

Edit: I recall you use Mint 20.It would help if you gave where the Gimp 2.10.24 comes from ? PPA or flatpak or....?
(01-25-2022, 08:38 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...PS I have tried removing GIMP and reinstalling, but nothing has changed. ...

That is a real Windows user desperation move. Does not work for linux either since all the settings are held in your Gimp user Profile ~/.config/GIMP/2.10  ( a hidden folder, enable hidden files in your file manager)

I honestly do not know if this will work but go into that folder and rename the file devicerc say to devicerc-bak  That holds mouse (and graphics tablet if there is one) settings.

Close Gimp and restart. A new default devicerc file is made. See if that makes any difference.

Edit: I recall you use Mint 20.It would help if you gave where the Gimp 2.10.24 comes from ? PPA or flatpak or....?

Thank you once again for your prompt reply.

I did as you suggested and now everything is working perfectly. Brilliant! Big Grin

For your information I installed GIMP from the software centre.

GIMP is a brilliant program, packed with features and an interface which is very customisable (perhaps too much for the likes of me) but what really makes it stand out is people like you who care about the users and spend time helping them. Thank you so much.

Now have another look at the video to see how those excess tabs are removed or added without needing to drag and drop.
(01-26-2022, 02:11 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Now have another look at the video to see how those excess tabs are removed or added without needing to drag and drop.

Yes, it's really well explained in the video. Thanks for that too. I have also made a copy of my ~/.config/GIMP/ directory, so hopefully if I encounter problems which are difficult to resolve, if I am in a hurry I can restore the settings to the way they are now.

I hope that this post and the responses to my questions will help others.