Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP 2.10 constantly crashing while painting
I've been using 2.8 to do texture work for a very long time without any major issues, but after updating to 2.10 and proceeding to use it in the exact same way the program keeps abruptly closing with no warning, no errors, and no chance to save my work.  It seemed to happen most frequently when working with multiple windows open, but it just now happened twice in a row while working on a single image.  This basically renders GIMP totally unusable, as I can't keep throwing work away every time the program dies- the odds of a crash or completing a texture without issue are about 50/50, and it's very easy to forget to save when focusing on the work I'm doing. 

I use a Huion drawing tablet and am usually using it to draw when the crash happens; it doesn't appear to happen when the program is inactive, it's always when I'm in the middle of something.  I need pressure sensitivity and never work with just a mouse alone, so I can't say whether it happens as frequently then.

I'm not able to go back to 2.8 since I now have many files saved in the new format...  Where can I begin troubleshooting this?  Are there any crash dumps or logs I can find?  I'm on Windows 10x64 and using the latest drivers for all my system. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling GIMP over again, but the issue persists.
Start Gimp by entering "c:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8" --verbose in a command prompt (or edit the Gimp shortcut), and check for any nasty message in the console window when it crashes.