Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP Files stuck on PAINT XCF
Hya all you cute-n-cuddly GIMP users.

I have been using GIMP for about a decade and I love it, however recently after doing a clean install on my desktop PC, ALL my XCF files [previously all GIMP files] are now all PAINT XCF files and will not transfer to, or come up in, my GIMP list of 'open' files.

Try as I might, I just cannot convert my XCF files to the GIMP format I require.

It would be very useful if someone can assist me on this one, and let me access my artwork.

kind regards, Rab Smith.
(12-07-2023, 09:30 PM)RabSmith Wrote: Hya all you cute-n-cuddly GIMP users.

Never been described as that. The correct form is grumpy-cynical-old-man

Quote:I have been using GIMP for about a decade and I love it, however recently after doing a clean install on my desktop PC, ALL my XCF files [previously all GIMP files] are now all PAINT XCF files and will not transfer to, or come up in, my GIMP list of 'open' files.
Try as I might, I just cannot convert my XCF files to the GIMP format I require.
It would be very useful if someone can assist me on this one, and let me access my artwork.

Since you are using Windows, exactly which one 7 or 10 or 11 ? and is it 32 bit or 64 bit (info might help)
The same for Gimp you should be using the latest 2.10.36

Then, what exactly is a PAINT XCF ? Is this a file association problem and Windows tries to open the file with M$ Paint rather than Gimp ?

If you can post one of your Gimp .xcf files it might prove one way or another.
Old Gimp xcf files (Gimp 2.8) are different to Gimp 2.10 but Gimp 2.10 is backward compatible.

Other alternatives:
An older type .xcf might open in Krita and convert to some other format The same for XnViewMP .

Edit: This is the worrying bit: Try as I might, I just cannot convert my XCF files to the GIMP format I require.
What exactly have you done to your .xcf files ? Have you backed up the originals ?

I have been using GIMP for about a decade and I love it, however recently after doing a clean install on my desktop PC, ALL my XCF files [previously all GIMP files] are now all PAINT XCF files and will not transfer to, or come up in, my GIMP list of 'open' files.

kind regards, Rab Smith.

I use Windows. When I'm opening a file, I like to drag the file(s) from Explorer and drop them into the GIMP interface or its toolbox. That should give you access.
(12-08-2023, 08:32 AM)rich2005 Wrote:

Never been described as that. The correct form is grumpy-cynical-old-man

Quote:I have been using GIMP for about a decade and I love it, however recently after doing a clean install on my desktop PC, ALL my XCF files [previously all GIMP files] are now all PAINT XCF files and will not transfer to, or come up in, my GIMP list of 'open' files.

Since you are using Windows, exactly which one 7 or 10 or 11 ? and is it 32 bit or 64 bit (info might help)
The same for Gimp  you should be using the latest 2.10.36

Then, what exactly is a PAINT XCF ?   Is this a file association problem and Windows tries to open the file with M$ Paint rather than Gimp ?

If you can post one of your Gimp .xcf files it might prove one way or another.
Old Gimp xcf files (Gimp 2.8) are different to Gimp 2.10 but Gimp 2.10 is backward compatible.

Other alternatives:
An older type .xcf might open in Krita and convert to some other format The same for XnViewMP .

Edit: This is the worrying bit: Try as I might, I just cannot convert my XCF files to the GIMP format I require.
What exactly have you done to your .xcf files ? Have you backed up the originals ?

Hiya Rich, and many thanks for your worthy input here.
yes, its Microsoft PAINT files that over-ridden my XCF files, which up until now were GIMP, this has never happened before over a decade of fairly heavy GIMP use, so I never bothered to make backups, seeing as it was unexpected.

Its Windows 10 I am using at the moment, but I have retrieved my 'lost' files at last [OK, they were 'only' lost for a day or two] -see my other reply on this threaqd for details.

(12-08-2023, 09:26 AM)gasMask Wrote:

kind regards, Rab Smith.

I use Windows. When I'm opening a file, I like to drag the file(s) from Explorer and drop them into the GIMP interface or its toolbox. That should give you access.
hiya Gasmask,

I was unaware of the drag-n-drop facility which has worked a treat, it just means I have to do them one at a time but as long as I have not lost my images altogether all is well in the world.

Thank you for saving my bacon on this, Sir!
@RabSmith

Quote:..yes, its Microsoft PAINT files that over-ridden my XCF files, which up until now were GIMP, this has never happened before over a decade of fairly heavy GIMP use, so I never bothered to make backups, seeing as it was unexpected.

Since it is a "Clean Install" installation, that sounds like it is just an incorrect file type association. You should be able to change it. Right-Click on the file in Explorer and follow the prompts.