Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP Freezes when doing certain actions.
First of all, thanks a lot to all the people who made GIMP possible, it is a great software!.

I saw this question around the internet but I did not find any solution/explanation.

Since 2.10, GIMP just freezes (sometimes about 1 minute) when you use a tool for the first time (like for example picking one colour, or selecting a rectangle).

After that first time, it works as expected.

Now, I'll post my specs, but don't say my computer is slow (and thats the problem), because it will run as expected after the first freeze. I can scale, colorize... (and all the effects you imagine) "big" images (2048x2048) with no freezing or any trouble at all.

CPU Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33-1.7 GHz
RAM 2GB
OS Windows 8.1 (x86).

I repeat, neither CPU nor RAM are the problem, because while GIMP is unresponsive, cpu and ram are not showing anything wrong, (I can for example, write in this forum with no trouble).

Could windows 8.1 be the cause?

I could go back to GIMP 2.8 which had no issues, but I don't want to  Cool .

Thanks a lot!
This can be due to the small quantity of memory (2 GB of RAM to run a windows 8 is very low) : your windows should begin to use virtual memory, slowing down the whole computer.
You can observe what happens in GIMP by adding the Dashboard dock : click on the small arrow in the right part of any dockable area to open the menu, then Add Tab > Dashboard.
Observe the Memory and Swap graphs before and during the freeze.
(07-15-2019, 03:21 PM)tmanni Wrote: This can be due to the small quantity of memory (2 GB of RAM to run a windows 8 is very low) : your windows should begin to use virtual memory, slowing down the whole computer.
You can observe what happens in GIMP by adding the Dashboard dock : click on the small arrow in the right part of any dockable area to open the menu, then Add Tab > Dashboard.
Observe the Memory and Swap graphs before and during the freeze.

I usually have about 1.7 GB used ram, and does not go beyond that. The only thing that changes, is the CPU usage increasing just a little (10%), but as I wrote in my post, the PC is not slowing down or anything. In fact, I can for example browse youtube or do other things while gimp is unresponsive.
Probably nothing you can do about it. Lucky that it is just a freeze and not a crash.

32 bit Windows - what version of Gimp 2.10 are you running? - It gets flakey after Gimp 2.10.6

Not Windows but I run an old linux netbbok (ex. chromebook) Atom CPU - 32 bit - Gimp 2.8.22 - 2 GB RAM - 32 GB disk. That sometimes freezes but it is while the disk finds space to write to. You might not necessarily see problems with CPU or RAM.

Anyway, no Gimp developers visit this forum. You should file a report with: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues although they are not keen on anything other than the current Gimp 2.10.12 and not much testing is done on a 32 bit platform.
I invite you to open an issue in the GIMP bug tracker : https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues
(07-15-2019, 05:29 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Probably nothing you can do about it. Lucky that it is just a freeze and not a crash.

32 bit Windows - what version of Gimp 2.10 are you running? - It gets flakey after Gimp 2.10.6

Not Windows but I run an old linux netbbok (ex. chromebook) Atom CPU - 32 bit - Gimp 2.8.22 - 2 GB RAM - 32 GB disk.  That sometimes freezes but it is while the disk finds space to write to.  You might not necessarily see problems with CPU or RAM.

Anyway, no Gimp developers visit this forum. You should file a report with: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues  although they are not keen on anything other than the current Gimp 2.10.12  and not much testing is done on a 32 bit platform.

Thanks, I'll test different versions. I don't want to go back because gimp 2.10 added a lot of effects for paletted images. Maybe I should find the first version which added that features instead of using the last one.

Anyway I'll check the dashboard dock as tmanni suggested, and I'll open an issue in the gimp bug tracker. Maybe my pc has some incompatibility that has not been tested, or it is using a lot of virtual ram fron the hard disk.
The dashboard dock showed nothing special... Then I uninstalled gimp and installed 2.10.0, it worked perfect, not even a tiny delay or freeze.

As I read from other people that newer versions tend to freeze in slow computers, I'll stick to older versions for now.