Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP in 20.04
Hi,

How do I set up GIMP 2.10.18 for Kubuntu 20.04 ? I installed KDE over Ubuntu.

Already installed GIMP from the store, but not sure it will have the same tools I had in 18.04.

GMIC is missing from the Filters menu. Not sure what else is gone.
I goes like this: Using the 'buntu' store you will most likely have the 'snap' version. That does not support QT, so no gimp_gmic_qt plugin. Look in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders and see what the paths look like.

There is a Gimp 2.10.18 in the 'buntu repository
Code:
sudo apt install gimp

The problem with this one is the ubuntu developers in their wisdom have moved up to python3 leaving out any provision for Gimp python2 plugins. Ok if you do not use any python plugins.

At the moment the only version that works (and I have tried it in a kubuntu 20.04 VM) is the appimage from https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases/

Look in the assets drop down for: https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-app...4.AppImage Use the 'withplugins' version, comes with gimp_gmic_qt already installed.

Edit: I see you asked about the grouped tools in the toolbox. These can be ungrouped in Edit -> Preferences see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-do...2#pid17282
Thanks @rich2005

I somehow managed to ungroup the grouped tools. I got so used to the broader UI, it was not natural to have them grouped.

I installed from Ubuntu Software, so it is a Snap package. I will try to use the app image or limit what I do with GIMP in 20.04.

Can I use " ofn-erase-background " ? That is the plugin I use the most.
(04-27-2020, 04:48 PM)meetdilip Wrote: ...snip...
I installed from Ubuntu Software, so it is a Snap package. I will try to use the app image or limit what I do with GIMP in 20.04.

Can I use " ofn-erase-background " ? That is the plugin I use the most.

A (not so quick) Gimp 2.10.18 snap installation in a (k)ubuntu 20.04

Python is there and working, so Ofnuts plugins are OK.

As mentioned earlier, look in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders to check where plug-ins go. That applies to any installation.

Thanks. I think GIMP is available in the " Discover " store as well. Should I remove snap and try the " Discover " version ?

I am a bit confused about all these packages.
(04-27-2020, 06:44 PM)meetdilip Wrote: Thanks. I think GIMP is available in the " Discover " store as well. Should I remove snap and try the " Discover " version ?

I am a bit confused about all these packages.

If it works for you and you do not need the gimp_gmic_qt plugin then keep the "snap" version.

There is a regular Gimp 2.10.18 package in the ubuntu repository. Get that and there is no python support. That "ofn-erase-background.py plugin you use will not work.

The others that are available but not from Ubuntu are:
The "flatpak" gimp 2.10.18 which is much the same as the "snap" version
The "appimage" version 2.10.18 which has the advantage of both python and QT working.
Thanks. I will see how far it goes. Hopefully, the snap is enough for my needs.
I tried to continue with snap and " ofn-erase-background " plugin works fine. Checked right now. Thanks to you.

Please don't mind if I am repeating the question. I installed kubuntu-desktop from Synaptic over default Ubuntu 20.04. So default Ubuntu is available for me. Is there any way I can use GMIC with the current setup in Snap GIMP ?
The gimp_gmic_qt plugin will not work with the 'snap' (or flatpak) installation of Gimp 2.10.18 in Ubuntu 20.04 (but python works)

The Gimp 2.10.18 installation from the ubuntu repo (using in a terminal sudo apt install gimp) can support QT (providing the QT libs are installed) and the plugin from http://www.gmic.eu works (tried that out yesterday).

However this version of Gimp 2.10.18 does not support python plugins.

Both installations can be installed at the same time a 'snap' and a 'apt installation'
Thanks. How / where to change the splash screen in my Kubuntu 20.04 GIMP ?

PS : I did check the folder amongst the plugin folders