Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP is CRAP! Missing files in file dilaog box.
It has been a while I last used GIMP, now it was disappointing.
It failed when I tried to open files.

When opening file with the file dialog box 3 of the 5 files are missing, simply it was not displayed.
They have the same JPG type, no spane on the beginning nor the end.

Windows 10, GIMP 2.10

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Not good practice to come on a Gimp forum and call it CRAP I could equally respond PEBKAC

However in the spirit of good will to all.

I tried to replicate the "no showing" files in various ways, If you can post one of the files on dropbox that is better, it might show something. It might just be the long file name. Have you tried renaming / removing spaces / commas ...

Gimp will recognize a valid file by the file type "magick number" - a digital signature.  You can make the Gimp show all files in the Open Image dialogue using the show all files toggle.  Do the missing files show and do they open ?

(12-28-2021, 09:39 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Not good practice to come on a Gimp forum and call it CRAP I could equally respond PEBKAC

However in the spirit of good will to all.

I tried to replicate the "no showing" files in various ways, If you can post one of the files on dropbox that is better, it might show something. It might just be the long file name. Have you tried renaming / removing spaces / commas ...

Gimp will recognize a valid file by the file type "magick number" - a digital signature.  You can make the Gimp show all files in the Open Image dialogue using the show all files toggle.  Do the missing files show and do they open ?

Hello,

I managed to replicate it, it might be connected to the full path length.

If the root folder is called "2020 1. félév" the whole contect is shown, if it is renamed "2020 1. félév munkalapok" some of the files start to miss.
In both cases show all files checkbox is checked.
No spaces are present in the file names at the beginning or the end.
if the folder is called "2020. 1. félév munkalapokxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" no files are shown at all.

Total Commander and Windows Explorer can handle this, regardless of the folder name (length) with the actual content of the folder, so I keep my statement: Gimp is Crap.

I spent 1 hour of my time to debug a shuch annoying and stupid error, which as a user I do not want.
I want productivity, this is definietly not.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just a reminder, nobody is forcing you to use Gimp. Use something else.

Giving the benefit of the doubt. Can I reproduce that using folder with long name containing a file with long name
No, not here https://i.imgur.com/H2rqUor.jpg
Must be a Windows thing.
(12-29-2021, 12:03 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Just a reminder, nobody is forcing you to use Gimp. Use something else.

Giving the benefit of the doubt. Can I reproduce that using folder with long name containing a file with long name
No, not here https://i.imgur.com/H2rqUor.jpg
Must be a Windows thing.

Right, it is acceptable in 2021 due to a "Windows Thing" it cannot handle directories and files correctly.
This is absolutely OK.
Actually it was/is a Windows thing. Windows used to limit tke length of file paths to 256 characters. It eventually changed to remove that limit (likely doing like Unix right now, 256 characters per component), but you have to use a new API to see this. If you use the old API, for compatibility Windows silently drops the files that are too long instead of returning an error.

The GTK compatibility layer that Gimp uses to run on Windows hasn't been updated for quite a while and is likely still using the deprecated API.
Fine. Are you expecting us to fix this? We are not related to GIMP or their developer team.