Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP not responding on high file sizes.
(05-24-2019, 10:33 AM)rich2005 Wrote: 720p(rogressive) is 1280x720 frame size so making a 500 frame video that size.
Oh. The 720 P reference was jus rhetorical. They were 2 hour + long movies but still the final file size doesn't exceed 850 MB.
My 500 frame animation is 480 P which was the width and length being 854.
I have not tried dimensions exceeding 480 p for GIFs.

(05-24-2019, 10:33 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I record in a comparatively loose compressed avi. (uncompressed, runs to Gb's - not used that for 20 years)
That clip is  8.6 MB. I export in divx(xvid) format for youtube 1.8 MB but that is a finished format not really suitable for video editing, and does not loop for web use.

I use GAP plugin which has "Split video into frames" option. So i open my video file and GAP does the rest in getting the frames. The video lengths would not be more than 15 seconds . Cuz as a GIF ,that's long enough interval to loop.

(05-24-2019, 10:33 AM)rich2005 Wrote:   
500 frames load (2 min -30sec). Shows as 1.4 MB in memory https://i.imgur.com/xgYC7oa.jpg I can export as a gif animation full frame replace that took 2min-30 as well. gif file size - whopping 172 MB The frames do optimise in GIMP and export as a gif in combine mode, file size 2.8 MB Both these re-open in Gimp ok.

At the bottom of the screenshot, File size says 500.png(1.4) GB.What does that imply?? .To check file sizes in GIMP, I check them at Image -> Image properties menu and my file(.xcf) size was 1.5 GB.

(05-24-2019, 08:57 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: PS: For 1.5GB I can have a 720p copy of any StarWars episode.

May be even more than one episode if the length of the episode was 30 mins.
Quote:...My 500 frame animation is 480 P which was the width and length being 854. I have not tried dimensions exceeding 480 p for GIFs...

That makes more sense for an animated gif, which comes from an older days when images sizes were much smaller. Still on the large side.

Quote:..I use GAP plugin which has "Split video into frames" option...

You are lucky that GAP works. It is an old plugin. It does use ffmpeg (an old version). Guessing that is how it renders frames

Quote:...The video lengths would not be more than 15 seconds . Cuz as a GIF ,that's long enough interval to loop.

Certainly is Wink I was concentrating on the 500 frames. I capture video at 15 frames-per-second (fps) Good enough for youtube. 500 frames @ 15 fps is about 30 seconds. More standard video is 30 fps for NTSC - US standard (25 fps PAL - European standard ) which gives the 15 seconds for 500 frames. Animations should really be more like 10 fps = the 100 ms timing in the gif export dialogue.

Quote:..At the bottom of the screenshot, File size says 500.png(1.4) GB.What does that imply..
That is the layer name and the size of the image in memory. If you do any editing then expect that to grow. One of your problems might be the number of undo levels. see Edit -> Preferences -> System Resources Minimal number of undo levels. Try setting that to zero.

Quote:...to check file sizes in GIMP, I check them at Image -> Image properties menu and my file(.xcf) size was 1.5 GB.

That is a saved file. xcf is compressed. It is a large file. Even larger when opened and uncompressed.

Can not really give much advice. If your original video is 30 fps, use every 3rd frame. Gets you down to about 150 frames = 15 seconds @ 100ms timing. As an animation you will never notice the difference.