Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP odd behaviour Some parts don't work
Hello everyone,

Nice to meet the group. This is my first post. Hope I am doing things the right way !

I have recently noticed that in the COLOUR list of possibilities a great many are not operating any more, except Contrast/ Levels and Curves. How come?

My first idea was to un-install the whole of GIMP and re-install. But it was to no avail.

I'm at a loss what to do.

My OS is Windows 10 -64bit, I have 16 GB or RAM. 

Thank you for your help ans suggestions.

Jean
Have you checked if your image is in RGB mode : Image / Mode / RGB
Yes, as @denzjos said, you are probably editing a color-indexed image (typically if you are editing a GIF, but some PNG are also color-indexed), and given how these images are made, most color tools (and many others) are disabled. See here for some hints about color-indexed images and their pitfalls.

In the general case, uninstalling/reinstalling Gimp doesn't help, because many of your problems will come from settings you changed unknowingly, and Gimp keeps your settings across installations.  See here for some hints about managing that and making Gimp forget your errors Rolleyes
(05-27-2024, 09:00 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Yes, as @denzjos said, you are probably editing a color-indexed image (typically if you are editing a GIF, but some PNG are also color-indexed), and given how these images are made, most color tools (and many others) are disabled. See here for some hints about color-indexed images and their pitfalls.

In the general case, uninstalling/reinstalling Gimp doesn't help, because many of your problems will come from settings you changed unknowingly, and Gimp keeps your settings across installations.  See here for some hints about managing that and making Gimp forget your errors Rolleyes

Thanks a lot. I will look into this.

But I have checked my pictures, nothing has changed in their structure, they are all the same pictures I recently modified successfully. But now many of my GIMP functions have totally ceased to work. All of a sudden.

Check out this photo for example; it is indeed in RGB mode.

(05-27-2024, 06:52 AM)denzjos Wrote: Have you checked if your image is in RGB mode : Image / Mode / RGB

Yes I have. My pictures are RGB. That is why I don't understand this sudden bug in most of my color tools.

Thanks

Jean

One more question, by the way. How do I make sure that your replies come to my email address, rather than just on the forum? I have looked everywhere but can't find a solution.

Jean

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Another possibility is that the active "drawable" is not a layer (which is RGB) but some grayscale object, such as a channel (typically, if you Select > Save to channel the active drawable becomes the saved channel until you select back a layer) or a layer mask.

For more clues we would need to see the whole UI (in particular the Layers list and the status bar at the bottom).
(05-27-2024, 09:08 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Another possibility is that the active "drawable" is not a layer (which is RGB) but some grayscale object, such as a channel (typically, if you Select > Save to channel the active drawable becomes the saved channel until you select back a layer) or a layer mask.

For more clues we would need to see the whole UI (in particular the Layers list and the status bar at the bottom).

Hi,

Well I'm afraid this is getting getting a little too technical for me. 
I enclose a screen capture that might help you see what's wrong with my GIMP.

But as I said earlier I did not temper with any of my photos in any new way. I am doing what I have always done, increase contrast, use curves etc... but now most of the color tools are out of order but for contrast, level and curves. Why should the latter work but not the other ones?

I hope this helps 

Jean

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What "other ones"? Can you show us what happens when you want o use them? Disabled in menus? Error message?
(05-27-2024, 05:53 PM)jeanlinux Wrote: One more question, by the way. How do I make sure that your replies come to my email address, rather than just on the forum? I have looked everywhere but can't find a solution.

Jean

This may be an answer: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Yahoo-...pam-Filter (see the first response from Ofnuts about DigitalOcean)
(05-28-2024, 10:16 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What "other ones"? Can you show us what happens when you want o use them? Disabled in menus? Error message?

Neither disabled nor an error message. They just don't have any effect any more. As I said I aven't touched anything ( or unwittingly ) to my usual working habits.

The color tools not working are       Colour balance, color temperature, hue chroma, saturation, hue and saturation, and the most useful Shadows and highlights. The rest are in perfect working condition ( namely Brightness and Contrast, Levels and Curves ). 

Totally puzzling.

What do you make of that ?

Jean
(05-29-2024, 11:10 AM)jeanlinux Wrote:
(05-28-2024, 10:16 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What "other ones"? Can you show us what happens when you want o use them? Disabled in menus? Error message?

Neither disabled nor an error message. They just don't have any effect any more. As I said I aven't touched anything ( or unwittingly ) to my usual working habits.

The color tools not working are       Colour balance, color temperature, hue chroma, saturation, hue and saturation, and the most useful Shadows and highlights. The rest are in perfect working condition ( namely Brightness and Contrast, Levels and Curves ). 

Totally puzzling.

What do you make of that ?

Jean

So you can start the tool but the tool has no effect? If so can you take a screen shot of the tools dialog over the picture you are working on?