Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp Collaboration
I would like to make a gimp project collaboratively with a friend, but I haven't found any methods that are possible.

By collaborate I mean if there were two computers connected via ethernet cable and they both had gimp. Would it then be possible to have them work on the same image so that one could see what the other had just done and vise versa.

My first idea was to make both computers use the same image simultaneously, but that didn't work because gimp seems to load the image in memory. So the next thought was to share the swap/memory/temp between the two computers, but i'm not sure how to even do that. (by swap I mean the gimpswap file or any other tile caching.) I tested one idea by opening the same image in two gimp windows but they just edited them separably.

I seem to remember a version of gimp would always use another file with the same name but with a ~ at the end in the same folder as the one being edited to save temp data of some sort. I am now wondering if you could use that simultaneously?

I have looked at compiling my own version of gimp, but probably wouldn't know where to start. Possibly making a plugin might help, but again don't know what to look for as a reference.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
IMHO no way with Gimp, but you can use screen-sharing utilities to be both able to participate in the same edit session.