Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 1.2 packaged with Developer Shareware version of InstallerVise, can I use it?
Question 
Howdy everyone,

(and plz sorry for bad English)

Years ago I bought a Cd-rom magazine with, among other software, The Gimp v 1.2 included in its Cd-rom. This was my first contact with The Gimp and I really liked it, and I use it until today in my Win98 PC. But recently I realized that the distribution of The Gimp in the version 1.2 was done with the use of the Developer Shareware version of InstallerVise, which forbids distribution of commercial software as it shows right when we start the setup of The Gimp v. 1.2, the pics below show it clearly:

And now I'm afraid I can be using The Gimp illegally.

Being an Open Source software, is The Gimp included in the definition of 'Commercial Software' which shouldn't be distributed with such version of InstallerVise? Or I'm free to use this version of The Gimp anyway? I guess the developer knew that and, if he insisted on using that InstallerVise, so it very probably is okay, but... I can't be sure, so I googled a lot, trying to find discussions about it or infos about it but no success. I even tried to look for other packagings of The Gimp online, but all the packagings of The Gimp in its 1.2 version were always done with the use of InstallerVise.

Also, the fact that The Gimp, packaged with such version of InstallerVise, was distributed in a magazine Cd-Rom makes it illegal somehow, making me unable to use it legally?

EDIT: I found a Wikipedia article about what is a Commercial Software, it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial...20software.

According to this definition, The Gimp can very probably be considered non-commercial software, as it's packaged with no commercial/business intentions. So, having this definition in mind, can I be in peace with the use of The Gimp distributed with that version of InstallerVise? What are your thoughts about it?
Gimp 1.2? Who cares in 2023? Anyway, there are no legal restrictions to using Gimp, even if you installed it using dodgy software. The thing you should worry about is if the Gimp you get that way has been altered in dubious ways.

Now, even on a Win98 PC, Gimp 1.2 is ancient, and you can at least move to Gimp 2.2.16 (circa 2005), which is the last version to support Win98. These old versions are hard to find: the SourceForge projects appears closed, and the Internet Archive doesn't seem to have archived the installers(*).There is possibly a version here:

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/the-gimp-2-2-16

The site used to be trustable, may be a bit less so these days so use with caution.

(*) Of course we all expect Rich to unearth an old version from a CD-ROM he buried as a time capsule under his secret beer cellar.
I do care lol, it was my first Gimp used (it was around twenty years ago) and there's a good (strongly sentimental) reason I'd like to keep using it <3. Of course, I also have modern hardware, mostly running Linux Debian 12, where I run up-to-date versions of Gimp, Krita, Inskcape and other graphical softwares I enjoy using.

Getting The Gimp 2.2.x is reasonably easy, I found many mirrors today, but as I told above, I have my reasons to stick up with The Gimp 1.2.x on my old but loved Win98 setup (despite having used the version 2.2.x too). The packaging done with such version was made by an official contributor which I can't know if is still doing something for Gimp nowadays, I'm gonna search for him/her. The question was about the legality of the way The Gimp was packaged and distributed, considering the version of InstallerVise used: because, if the distribution of the software is done illegally, so maybe the use of such illegally distributed software would be illegal too? I honestly don't know and I even sent a message to Digital River, the company who bought MindVision, creator/owner of InstallerVisa, but I don't even know if they'll answer me lol. Well, I'm doing my part, I don't wanna be illegal in any way so...

If nothing more works, maybe I'll use my Win98 machine to compile a new copy of The Gimp 1.2.5 (I downloaded the sources) and package it with an open-sourced install maker like NSIS or something alike.

Anyway, thanks for the answer and I'll post here anything more I find about the subject.
For anyone interested in Gimp History.

From my 2003 archive. Gimp 1.2.5 for Windows. Put up on my storage, zipped 14 MB but most of that is the old GIMP User Manual pdf.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=...6nIkLcgTBV

This in a Win 7 32 bit VirtualBox

(12-21-2023, 08:44 AM)rich2005 Wrote: For anyone interested in Gimp History.

From my 2003 archive. Gimp 1.2.5 for Windows. Put up on my storage, zipped 14 MB but most of that is the old GIMP User Manual pdf.

[....]

This in a Win 7 32 bit VirtualBox

Wow, nice to see that! Did you compile it yourself or you just kept it up to now?

By the way, I tried asking Skynet ChatGPT about commercial software and The Gimp and it seems to agree with me:

Quote:Me: By the way, what is exactly a commercial software?

ChatGPT: Commercial software refers to software that is created, developed, and sold for profit. It is typically produced by a software development company or an individual developer with the intention of generating revenue. Commercial software comes in various forms and serves different purposes, ranging from productivity tools and business applications to entertainment and specialized software for specific industries.

Key characteristics of commercial software include:

Proprietary Nature: Commercial software is often proprietary, meaning that the source code is not freely available, and users typically need to purchase a license to use the software.

User Licenses: Users are required to purchase licenses or subscriptions to legally use commercial software. The terms of these licenses vary and may include restrictions on the number of users, installations, or the duration of use.

Support and Updates: Many commercial software products come with customer support and regular updates. Users can often access technical assistance, bug fixes, and new features during the period covered by their license.

Quality Assurance: Commercial software often undergoes extensive testing and quality assurance processes to ensure stability, security, and functionality. This is because the reputation of the software company is closely tied to the reliability of its products.

Distribution Channels: Commercial software is typically distributed through various channels, including retail stores, online marketplaces, and the software company's website. Users may purchase physical copies or download the software digitally.

Examples of commercial software include Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, and many other applications that are widely used in business, design, and various professional fields.

Me: Does it mean that Gimp isn't a commercial software?

ChatGPT: That's correct. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is not a commercial software. GIMP is an open-source and free software, meaning that its source code is available to the public, and users are free to use, modify, and distribute it without having to pay for a license. It falls under the category of free and open-source software (FOSS).

Being open-source, GIMP is not developed or sold by a commercial company for profit. Instead, it is maintained by a community of volunteers and developers who collaborate to improve and enhance the software. Users can download, install, and use GIMP without incurring any licensing fees. This makes GIMP an accessible option for individuals and organizations looking for a powerful image editing tool without the cost associated with many commercial alternatives.

In contrast, commercial software, as mentioned earlier, is developed by companies with the primary goal of generating revenue, and users typically need to purchase licenses to use such software.

Well, considering the nature of The Gimp, which isn't considered (AFAIK) commercial software, despite being able to be used for commercial purposes, I'm inclined to consider the packaging of the Gimp 1.2 I have to be legally okay. Still waiting for the answer of Digital River, which I honestly believe that will probably just ignore my question. Bu I had to ask.

Anyway, I'm feeling more comfortable with my copy of The Gimp, despite being packaged with that Installer VISE version. Still not totally comfortable tough, and still looking somewhere for a more solid answer. I'm reading material to learn to compile The Gimp on my Win98 machine as I'm not a programmer (I just compield the kernel about three times and it was about 15 years ago) and if I succeed, Ill package it in a more safe, legally reliable way.
(12-21-2023, 01:28 PM)D. Henryk Wrote: Wow, nice to see that! Did you compile it yourself or you just kept it up to now?
By the way, I tried asking Skynet ChatGPT about commercial software and The Gimp and it seems to agree with me:

It is from 2003. If you look at the pdf that is in zip, the binaries originally came from Tor Lillqvist. There is info there about installation.

The software conditions were the same then as they are now.

Quote:The terms and conditions for copying, distribution and modification of GIMP are clearly listed in the GNU General Public License. Redistribution for free or for profit is specifically allowed, as long as the license is included and the source code is made available.