Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10.10 and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Now up to Gimp 2.10.14

Using Ubuntu 18.04 'Bionic' or one of the spin-offs, Mint 19 for example, and wondering where the update to Gimp 2.10.10 is? So am I Wink

Note: This could change in 5 minutes / 5 hours / 5 days / never - who knows.
Update:Took a couple of days. As of 29 April, Gimp 2.10.10 is back in the more regular ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp 
Installation the same: as indicated.

Ubuntu is based on Debian and the base version in 'Bionic' is Gimp 2.8.22 Upgrading to Gimp 2.10 involves using a third-party PPA. This is the one normally used...

Edit: Fixed ...but at the moment, no version for 18.04 'Bionic'? It was there a few days ago, you might already have Gimp 2.10.8 installed.

For an upgrade add this PPA

In a terminal the sequence will be

Add the PPA repository
preferred:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp

alternative: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp-stable-prepare but keep in mind for the future.

Update the package lists

Code:
sudo apt update

Then it really is best if you install all the latest packages, there will be many, often security updates, up-to-you.

Code:
sudo apt upgrade

for Gimp 2.10.1014

Code:
sudo apt install gimp

One thing missing from this is python support so

Code:
sudo apt install gimp-python

Edit: Gimp 2.10 always catches me out Wink  Rarely need to use the mypaint tool but good fun and worth having. Tried to use it and no brushes The my-paint brush package is not a dependency.

To install the brushes:

Code:
sudo apt install mypaint-brushes

All being well, you get your updated Gimp Smile

If updating your 'buntu bionic / Mint 19 installation and get this message

Quote:"http://ppa.launchpad.net/otto-kesselgulasch/gimp/ubuntu" bionic InRelease' changed its 'Label' value from 'gimp' to 'gimp stable

Try this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get --allow-releaseinfo-change update

The advice is then "ignore any errors relating to gimp" and install updates as usual.

That worked here Kubuntu 18.04 / Gimp 2.10.12 from the PPA. No more error message.

(I wonder if that means no more Gimp updates for Bionic? )
Thank you. Worked for me, too.
(Linux Mint 19.2 MATE)