Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10.34 won't install
The installer gets to extracting twain.exe  and then gives an error that "setup was not completed. please correct the problem and run setup again."

Originally I was trying to update a previous version and got this error. In frustration I deleted the old application to install the newer one and now I can't install any version.

Help?
twain is a 32-bit application(if I recall well), if so, you might miss some 32-bits libraries on the Microsoft's OS, update/upgrade/add 32-bits of the microsoft's OS (AKA windows) to be able to use old 32-bits software
twain is to use a scanner, if you don't use a scanner, when you install you can uncheck this option
Patrice
If the gimp installer finds an existing installation then it un-installs before the new installation. That is mostly due to Windows registry entries.

First try and completely remove everything Gimp.

If there is an entry in the Windows applications uninstall menu, use that. Sometimes it says it cannot find the application and asks if you want to remove the entry - do it.

Otherwise a sequence here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Unable...completely

After, hopefully an uninstall, restart Windows and delete all of C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 - There are always files left over that cannot be deleted until a restart.

If up to it, use regedit and search for Gimp and delete any entries.

Then try an installation. The gimp-2.10.34-setup.exe from gimp.org should be 311,394,480 bytes

Always difficult diagnosing someones computer at a distance. Best of luck
Thank you all. I put this problem away for a while and only looked back on the forum.

The key might have been deleting registry entries, which I did that then tried reinstalling. It generated some kind of error at the end that I forgot to note, but the installation went through and GIMP is working again. Nice to see it back.

Thank you for your help.