Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10 : Layers Modes behave unexpected
Hello, I am having alot of problems in the new Gimp 2.10 after opening one of my  images from 2.8
Since i was having performance issues i changed the layer mode from legacy Normal to current Normal as an experiment.
But for some reason the look of my image changed noticeably.
Can someone explain how the new Normal layer mode is different from the old one?

Bonus question: Why does it now take 2 minutes to open the export dialog.

thank you in advance
(05-01-2018, 01:18 PM)TheFunnySide Wrote: Hello, I am having alot of problems in the new Gimp 2.10  after opening one of my  images from 2.8
Since i was having performance issues i changed the layer mode from legacy Normal to current Normal as an experiment.
Can someone explain how the new Normal layer mode is different from the old one?

thank you in advance

I suspect it works linearly instead of being gamma-corrected.... If the two modes gave identical results there would be only one mode.

File>Export opens instantaneously for me (on Linux). In the previous version, the file dialogs of the Windows version would be slowed down to a crawl if there was a slow network drive or if the BIOS still had a (fake) diskette drive defined.
(05-01-2018, 04:38 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 01:18 PM)TheFunnySide Wrote: Hello, I am having alot of problems in the new Gimp 2.10  after opening one of my  images from 2.8

thank you in advance

I suspect it works linearly instead of being gamma-corrected.... If the two modes gave identical results there would be only one mode.

File>Export opens instantaneously for me (on Linux). In the previous version, the file dialogs of the Windows version would be slowed down to a crawl if there was a slow network drive or if the BIOS still had a (fake) diskette drive defined.

You are probably right. Is there a known downside to using legacy mode because my performance hit rock bottom? I cant even scroll down in my layer list without lagging.