Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10 Thumbnails Folder location
It seems that the thumbnails folder location has been changed since Gimp 2.10 came out.
Please advise as to where the folder is located for the following OS's:-
1. Ubuntu Linux
2. MacOS
3. Windows 10
I don't think Gimp has something like a thumbnail folder. Where do you find it in 2.8?
(07-04-2018, 04:11 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I don't think Gimp has something like a thumbnail folder. Where do you find it in 2.8?

Immediately below the .gimp-2.8 folder. It is called .thumbnails
(It tends to grow quite big so I delete it every now and then)

I haven't found a 2.10 equivalent, but there are some other folders to be found here and there.
Well in linux the thumbnails for Gimp 2.10 are in ~/.cache/thumbnails/normal/

and if using a flatpak ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/cache/thumbnails/normal/

Do not know about OSX

Windoze: spend too much time trying to pin down where they end up after opening some images.

Should be something like C:\Users\your-id\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer in one of those thumbcache_xxx.db files
but
Using a snapshot utilty to compare before and after using Gimp. Files go into (example)
C:\Users\your-id\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\thumbnails\normal\1e1f6732782100261c6774c4766b916f.png
Shown in the utility log file.

Try to find them - gone. Hate M$
(07-04-2018, 04:50 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Well in linux the thumbnails for Gimp 2.10 are in  ~/.cache/thumbnails/normal/

and if using a flatpak ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/cache/thumbnails/normal/

Do not know about OSX

Windoze: spend too much time trying to pin down where they end up after opening some images.

Should be something like C:\Users\your-id\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer in one of those thumbcache_xxx.db files
but
Using a snapshot utilty to compare before and after using Gimp. Files go into (example)
C:\Users\your-id\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\thumbnails\normal\1e1f6732782100261c6774c4766b916f.png
Shown in the utility log file.

Try to find them - gone. Hate M$

OK, did have a  ~/.cache/thumbnails/normal/ directory, but I didn't recognize any images in it as opened by Gimp, but then there weren't many images since I rebooted yesterday. I tried to have Gimp create a few thumbnails by openjng big files, exit Gimp, and the directory is now empty.
Thought you were using the Gimp 2.10.2 flatpak

The thumbnails for that are in ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/cache/thumbnails/normal/
I have sort of found it for Windows 10. It is in
C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

But it is some sort of hidden folder. It does not show up in the folder hierarchy even though it is set to show hidden files and folders. I got to it by by selecting the AppData folder and searching for thumbnail. Thumbnails for all the files I have used in 2.10 are there.

EDIT:
You have to uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
Then the thumbnails folder can be accessed.
(07-04-2018, 12:02 PM)netsurfer38 Wrote: It seems that the thumbnails folder location has been changed since Gimp 2.10 came out.
Please advise as to where the folder is located for the following OS's:-
1. Ubuntu Linux
2. MacOS
3. Windows 10

In Windows 10 the Gimp 2.10.24 thumbnails are at... 

C:\Users\your_account_name\.thumbnails 

Because of the period before the thumbnails folder name... the folder will be a the top of the list if you're looking in Windows Explorer in "Details" mode
Best Regards, 
StageMan
StageMan, unfortunately your suggestion does not work for me. For others experiencing similar, the option mentioned by Blighty worked for me.

> Open Explorer
> select "View" tab
> check "Hidden items"
> "Options"
> uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"

one can find the folder at
C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\thumbnails

(replace "MyName" with your username)