Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10 Type text on a circle path
Photo 
Hello everyone,
I am new to Gimp. I have the version 2.10 installed in my Windows 10 PC.
My text, along a circle path, comes always Right to Left, so I can only place the text at the bottom of the circle only
[the videos on You Tube always shows "text along Path"  from Left to Right and at the top portion of the circle]

The [modified] instructions i am following, from one of the videos on You Tube (version previous to Gimp 2.10) is as follows

1. Trace Circle & Type something
2. To path and Text along the path
------------------------------------------
3. Layers > New Layer > Transparency > OK
4. Click Selection Layer Path > Click Flip Tool > Vertical
5. Type something >< Text along Path
6. Delete [horizontal] text layers on canvas
7. On Select Menu > None
8. Rotate both text - but one is always upside down!

I have reinstalled Gimp 2.10 a couple of times but the problem persist. 

Thank you for your attn and time in helping me. 

Ricardo
rgm2000@aol.com

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

No good reinstalling Gimp over and over. Vary rarely the problem.

Quote:..i am following, from one of the videos on You Tube (version previous to Gimp 2.10)

This can be a problem as well. Gimp 2.10 looks a bit different when it comes to some of the tools (rotate for example) and there is a bug in the selection-to-path. The direction of the path is reversed.

Quote:1. Trace Circle & Type something

This will give upside down text as your screenshot. The procedure is
Circular selection to path
Flip the path vertically (flip tool in paths mode)
Create some text and then Text-along-path.

The next bit 3 to 8 I do not really understand.

An earlier thread on the issue https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Text-A...86#pid8086

and a demo video https://youtu.be/pukUIefS0xI 5 minutes.
Known bug in Gimp 2.10, the circle path is generated in the wrong direction. Possible workarounds:

1) Flip the path, using the Flip tool in Path mode.

2) Get the ofn-path-edit script where a function can reverse the direction of a path

3) Get the ofn-path-to-shape script which will generate the circle path directly. In addition, you can control where the circle starts.

The ofn-* scripts are available here. You will also find there an ofn-text-along-path script that can do things better and more easily than the standard text-along-path function.

Edit: much simpler option #1
(05-26-2018, 07:50 PM)Ricardo G. Manrique Wrote: Hello everyone,
I am new to Gimp. I have the version 2.10 installed in my Windows 10 PC.
My text, along a circle path, comes always Right to Left, so I can only place the text at the bottom of the circle only
[the videos on You Tube always shows "text along Path"  from Left to Right and at the top portion of the circle]

The [modified] instructions i am following, from one of the videos on You Tube (version previous to Gimp 2.10) is as follows

1. Trace Circle & Type something
------------------------------------------
3. Layers > New Layer > Transparency > OK
4. Click Selection Layer Path > Click Flip Tool > Vertical
5. Type something >< Text along Path
6. Delete [horizontal] text layers on canvas
7. On Select Menu > None
8. Rotate both text - but one is always upside down!

I have reinstalled Gimp 2.10 a couple of times but the problem persist. 

Thank you for your attn and time in helping me. 

Ricardo
rgm2000@aol.com

Thank you rich2005,The 5 minutes Video make a solution to my problem and project me beyond my current knowledge.It seems to me that it is not really a bug, but the way Gimp 2.10 starts that then the direction of text must be change.Thank you so much for your prompt and accurate response.Ricardo
No good reinstalling Gimp over and over. Vary rarely the problem.

Quote:---snip---
An earlier thread on the issue https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Text-A...86#pid8086

Thank you Ofnutes, rich2005 pointed to a video that was the solution to my problem: https://youtu.be/pukUIefS0xI Thank you very much for your help.Ricardo

Quote:Known bug in Gimp 2.10, the circle path is generated in the wrong direction. Possible workarounds:

1) create the circle path, then flip the image, then create the text. Flipping the image will reverse the circle path direction(*)

2) Get the ofn-path-edit script where a function can reverse the direction of a path

3) Get the ofn-path-to-shape script which will generate the circle path directly. In addition, you can control where the circle starts.

The ofn-* scripts are available here. You will also find there an ofn-text-along-path script that can do things better and more easily than the standard text-along-path function.

(*) If you can't do it again from almost scratch, you can do instead:

- Image>Duplicate
- Flip the duplicate image
- Open the Path list
- Drag the path from the duplicate image's path list to the canvas of the original image

This should add the reversed path to the initial image
for the love of all that is holy
please edit