Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10 installer removes previous versions of Gimp
I had planned to keep both versions, just to see that the windows installer from Gimp.org automatically removes previous versions of Gimp.
I have not tried the Windows version yet but best guess.

The same occurred when going from Gimp 2.6 to 2.8 The 2.6 installation was removed but the 2.6 profile remained.

The reverse was not true. With 2.8 installed you can (re)install 2.6 without affecting 2.8

edit: hmmm..that is not going to work. Gimp 2.10 shares the same folder name as Gimp 2.8 - C:\Program Files\GIMP 2

Bear in mind that Gimp 2.10 is 64 bit, any old 32 bit compiled plugins will not work. There will be a way but a portable Gimp 2.8 might be easiest.
Like Ofnuts wrote somewhere, should really be called Gimp 3.0

One way of doing it, if you need to re-install Gimp 2.8 after Gimp 2.10 
Rename the 2.10 installation folder.
Install Gimp 2.8
Rename that 2.8 folder, rename the 2.10 back to 'GIMP 2'

Seems to work ok.

A 5 minute video demo with a few hints

and the direct link https://youtu.be/L9oP_MjGYVA
I tried it, it worked, but when i start Gimp 2.8, i get a hundred error messages for .exe files about a *missing procederal entry' related to libgimp-2.0-0.dll

Not sure whats going on. Got the 2.8.22 installer from gimpusers.com.

After i gave every error message my okay, Gimp 2.8 finally opened, but all the filters are missing.

* (rough translation from german)
Do not know, best guess. Have you got Gimp 2.8 files written into the Gimp 2.10 folder. Might have to reinstall both from scratch Or, Gimp 2.10 and a portable

Do you have the 2 folders as the video? Do they look like 2.8 versus 2.10?

Some notes.
Gimp 2.10 will migrate plugins, scripts, some settings from C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 to the new Gimp 2.10 profile C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\
A good idea to disable the gimp 2.8 profile before running Gimp 2.10 especially if you have gmic installed.

Difficult to give advice on this problem with out looking at the installations.
(04-29-2018, 11:14 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Some notes.
Gimp 2.10 will migrate plugins, scripts, some settings from C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 to the new Gimp 2.10 profile C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\
A good idea to disable the gimp 2.8 profile before running Gimp 2.10 especially if you have gmic installed.

Yes, especially, because for some reason Gimp 2.10 is dumping all my brushes and patterns into the corresponding tabs, and i dont know why its doing so.
Tried disabling everything in the Preferences/Folders, but it does not get rid of them.

Thats why i made the other thread about Gimp Userfolder versus appData/Roaming.
Very similar to Gimp 2.8 profile problems.

Are you happy that your existing Gimp 2.8 profile contains all the resources brushes/scripts/... that you need?

Rename that to disable it. something like C:\Users\"yourname"\.ggimp-2.8 (stick an extra g infront)

Since Gimp 2.10 is a new installation, delete the Gimp 2.10 profile
C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ to
C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\

Run Gimp 2.10, it will create a new default Gimp profile.

rename your Gimp 2.8 profile back to \.gimp-2.8

Then you can add resources to Gimp 2.10 as required. I understand there is a new gmic release to fix problems with Gimp 2.10
(04-29-2018, 11:30 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I understand there is a new gmic release to fix problems with Gimp 2.10

according to the G'MIC Twitter, that may not happen soon

https://twitter.com/gmic_ip/status/990524508749615107