Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10 menu font size issue
I recently switched from Linux Mint 19 to version 21. This (unfortunately) also meant saying goodbye to gimp 2.8. The new themes ("Dark","Gray","Light","System") from Gimp 2.10 are an impertinence. In addition, the font size in the Gimp menus is unacceptable. I work on two 4K monitors (34" and 32"), and gimp has always looked good after various updates over the last few years. How do you get acceptable settings that align with Gimp 2.8? I know there are some tweaks possible. One is

Code:
$ mkdir ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/themes/DarkHighDPI
$ cd /usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Dark
$ cp -r gtkrc ui ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/themes/DarkHighDPI

~/.config/GIMP/2.10/themes/DarkHighDPI/gtkrc

61c61
< gtk-font-name = "Sans 13"
---
> #gtk-font-name = "Sans 11"
68c68
<   font_name = "Sans 13"
---
> #  font_name = "Sans 11"

Somehow changes here make it worse and more inconsistent. Is there an easy way to switch back to the old look and feel. 

Why can't the new gimp automatically adapt to different resolutions (DPI) like most other Linux apps can?
(04-11-2023, 08:50 PM)gman Wrote: I recently switched from Linux Mint 19 to version 21. This (unfortunately) also meant saying goodbye to gimp 2.8. The new themes ("Dark","Gray","Light","System") from Gimp 2.10 are an impertinence. In addition, the font size in the Gimp menus is unacceptable. I work on two 4K monitors (34" and 32"), and gimp has always looked good after various updates over the last few years. How do you get acceptable settings that align with Gimp 2.8? I know there are some tweaks possible. One is

Code:
$ mkdir ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/themes/DarkHighDPI
$ cd /usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Dark
$ cp -r gtkrc ui ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/themes/DarkHighDPI

~/.config/GIMP/2.10/themes/DarkHighDPI/gtkrc

61c61
< gtk-font-name = "Sans 13"
---
> #gtk-font-name = "Sans 11"
68c68
<   font_name = "Sans 13"
---
> #  font_name = "Sans 11"

Somehow changes here make it worse and more inconsistent. Is there an easy way to switch back to the old look and feel. 

Why can't the new gimp automatically adapt to different resolutions (DPI) like most other Linux apps can?

Because Gimp 2.10 is based on a very old library that predates hi-res displays (GTKv2). A lot of the work towards Gimp 3 is to move to a more recent version of that library (but that library has itself to be ported to Windows). It could have been more useful to move to the Qt library instead (because the authors make sure it works on all 3 popular environments), but then GTK initially meant "Gimp ToolKit" and was first used in the Gimp UI, before being adopted by all the GNU apps, so I guess Gimp is stuck with it.
@gman

Just for info: There is a python plugin here: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t...10#p261235 that will adjust the menu font size and also non-toolbox icons. It writes to a gtkrc file in your User profile, so easy to delete if you do not like the result.

Quote:I recently switched from Linux Mint 19 to version 21...

No gimp-python comes with Mint21 so that plugin will not normally work, but you can use a utility appimage to launch Gimp and add python support on-the-fly. see: https://github.com/TasMania17/Gimp-Appim...-for-Linux (the ubuntu version)
I have the following lines added to my gtkrc file located in my profile folder:

gtk-icon-sizes = "gtk-menu = 36,36:
gtk-button = 48,48:
gtk-small-toolbar = 48,48:
gtk-large-toolbar = 56,56"

style "default"
{
font_name = "Helvetica 12"
GimpDock::font-scale = 0.925
GimpDockbook::tab-icon-size = small-toolbar
GimpRuler::font-scale = 0.9
GimpToolPalette::tool-icon-size = large-toolbar
}
widget_class "*" style "default"

You also must select 'Use icon size from the theme' under preferences -> Icon Theme