Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10 on Debian: Xsane not being detected
I have a recent Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) install that included a Gimp 2.10 binary. Xsane 0.999 is installed but when I try and use the File->Create function, Gimp is running xscanimage. Which might be fine if it didn't crash when you click on "Acquire preview".

I've tried the symlink trick in ~/.gimp-2.10/plug-ins/ but so far xscanimage is the only thing Gimp is seeing. I've verified that the symlink is pointing to /usr/bin/xsane and if I "cd" to the plugins directory and issue "./xsane" it does launch Xsane. If I can invoke it manually, Gimp ought to be able to, right? Instead, Gimp is fixated on "xscanimage" which doesn't exist on the system as far as I've been able to to determine. (Oddly there is a manpage for it that is almost identical to the xsane manpage.)

Is the problem with Gimp 2.10? Or Xsane?

Is there any hope to get 2.10 up and running with my Epson scanner. It's a Perfection 2400 Photo and has worked with 2.x+Xsane on other Linux distributions for a number of years.

Ping me if any additional information is needed.

TIA for any help...

--
Rick
Possibly a parasitic link in /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/?
Using a Brother printer/scanner, wireless connection.

I have the same issue with:

Kubuntu 22.04 where Xsane as a Gimp plugin does not work and xscanimage does work. Xsane does work stand-alone. If I run Xsane from a terminal I get an error message along the lines of ...GDK-CRITICAL .... GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable) failed. Maybe this is where Gimp stops.

Start Gimp in a terminal. No errors concerning Xsane. Both plugins installed. Only the xscanimage plugin shows in File -> Create

However using Kubuntu 20.04 both work. So I assume it is the different Debian versions that 'buntu is based on.

I dickered about for some time trying to get Xsane as a Gimp plugin to work with kubuntu 22.04. Copied files to plugins folder instead of symlinks, tried different versions of Xsane from older distro... No avail. It is one reason why I am still using kubuntu 20.04 most of the time.

Edit: Both are Gimp 2.10.36 from PPA (PandaJim)

Edit again:
Quote:Gimp is fixated on "xscanimage" which doesn't exist on the system as far as I've been able to to determine
xscanimage comes with the Sane package