Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10 reducing photo size
Hi

Loaded a tiff image whose original size was 3914 x 5871 pixels (portrait mode). It appears in Gimp as a tiny image 168 × 252 pixels! When I try to scale it it loses quality which I cannot recover through any of the interpolation quality options. I must be doing something wrong when I load it! Any suggestions gratefully received!
The problem with tiff format is it comes in several 'flavours' from 16 bit colour to 'fax' format 1 bit B&W

What you see is most likely an embedded thumbnail of the original.

Probably the tiff is corrupt in some way, difficult to say without inspecting the original. If you can post on somewhere like dropbox you might get a verdict.
(01-24-2020, 08:10 PM)rich2005 Wrote: The problem with tiff format is it comes in several 'flavours' from 16 bit colour to 'fax' format 1 bit B&W

Probably the tiff is corrupt in some way, difficult to say without inspecting the original. If you can post on somewhere like dropbox you might get a verdict.

Rich2005 -thanks. It was your comment about the thumbnail that realised I was making a stupid mistake.

When the tiff is imported into Gimp it was coming as two pages. When saved the image and the thumbnail show in two separate layers  and you can delete the thumbnail layer to leave the full-size image. I was trying to save time and delete one of the pages (which I thought contained the thumbnail) before importing and stupidly didn't realise I was importing only the thumbnail!!!
(01-25-2020, 11:55 AM)PaulEChapman Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 08:10 PM)rich2005 Wrote: The problem with tiff format is it comes in several 'flavours' from 16 bit colour to 'fax' format 1 bit B&W

Rich2005 -thanks. It was your comment about the thumbnail that realised I was making a stupid mistake.

When the tiff is imported into Gimp it was coming as two pages. When saved the image and the thumbnail show in two separate layers  and you can delete the thumbnail layer to leave the full-size image. I was trying to save time and delete one of the pages (which I thought contained the thumbnail) before importing and stupidly didn't realise I was importing only the thumbnail!!!
Pleased you got there Wink I was just going to post an example of that.

A bit of an error on my part, a tiff cannot have an actual embedded (as in metadata) thumbnail, you get that with a jpeg. but it can have layers.