Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10 under Debian Testing Won't Start
I am running Gimp 2.10 using a Debian Linux and today it suddenly refused to start. There is no error message issued when I start the program in command line. I tried purging gimp and re-install without any help.

After clicking on gimp or starting it through command line I could actually see a process of gimp. However, I cannot see the user interface being turned on. Does anyone have any suggestion how to solve this?
Self-compiled or installed from .DEB?

What do you get with gimp --verbose in a terminal?
(08-16-2018, 06:48 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Self-compiled or installed from .DEB?

What do you get with gimp --verbose in a terminal?
I installed the software from official Debian repository.

When I run 'gimp --verbose', nothing happened. No output from the command line at all. However the issue still exists, and I still cannot see the user interface.
Maybe the symbolic link gimp to the executable is broken.

Have you tried gimp-2.10 --verbose from a terminal

Screenshot of /usr/bin/gimp showing link https://i.imgur.com/nua9IFo.jpg
I've been facing the same situation. I've double checked the link and there is nothing broken.
Using Debian Testing - kernel 4.17.0-2-amd64
A quick search and it all looks very buggy in Debian

https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments...imp_21021/
(08-16-2018, 03:05 PM)qobibennun Wrote: I've been facing the same situation. I've double checked the link and there is nothing broken.

Same here! Debian testing with the latest kernel on an AMD machine.

I know that Debian testing is not as solid as the stable version, but I did not expect a well-established software like GIMP would have such issues. Looks like a known bug based on other comments, hopefully will get resolved soon.

(08-16-2018, 03:33 PM)rich2005 Wrote: A quick search and it all looks very buggy in Debian

https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments...imp_21021/

Thanks for the info. It's good to learn that bug report was already submitted, and I am not alone in facing this issue  Big Grin

Hopefully this will get resolved soon.
(08-16-2018, 03:05 PM)qobibennun Wrote: I've been facing the same situation. I've double checked the link and there is nothing broken.

According to this bug report, deleting the package libopenblas-base could solve the problem. I tried this and it worked!
(08-17-2018, 08:54 PM)jacosis Wrote:

According to this bug report, deleting the package libopenblas-base could solve the problem. I tried this and it worked!

Nice to know it. I'm gonna try it and reinforce it here in case it works.
I can confirm that removing the libopenblas-base package solved this issue for me -- thank you for the tip!