Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to keep large file but export reduced optimised
Let's say I have a file that is 4000 x 4000.
I edit and want to keep a master file.

I now want to save a version that is 1000 x 1000 as  a JPG.
Is there a keyboard shortcut to do this?

Do I have to:

- save
- reduce size
- export as JPG
- close file and be careful not to save (which I've done many times in Photoshop).
(or i can undo - but still same problem)

Also... another question...
What automation tools are there... what can I automate? Just looking for a link to read more.

Also... how do I drag the window around. If no tool is selected, I can't drag around - I normally press the space bar and then move the mouse around. I can't find the same tool you have in other graphic editors. 

Thanks.
Gimp Ver: 2.10.2
(05-28-2018, 10:59 PM)enginestar Wrote: Let's say I have a file that is 4000 x 4000.

No

Quote:Do I have to:

- save
- reduce size
- export as JPG
- close file and be careful not to save.

Yes

Quote:What automation tools are there

Like what ? For what purpose ?

Quote:Also... how do I drag the window around.

What window ?
automnation: like batch resizing or batch changing brightness for example

in photoshop you have the hand tool. this does nothing other than let you move the image around the screen - doesn't edit or make any changes.

let me know which tool in gimp

thanks

(05-28-2018, 11:11 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(05-28-2018, 10:59 PM)enginestar Wrote: Let's say I have a file that is 4000 x 4000.

No

Quote:Do I have to:

- save
- reduce size
- export as JPG
- close file and be careful not to save.

Yes

Quote:What automation tools are there

Like what ? For what purpose ?

What window ?
Gimp Ver: 2.10.2
Ok, so you are coming from a Photoshop background. I will keep that in mind.

(05-28-2018, 11:43 PM)enginestar Wrote: automation: like batch resizing or batch changing brightness for example

theres a plug-in called Bimp which does this (not sure it works in 2.10)

https://alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/

rich2005 seems to use a program called imagemagick for stuff like this

Quote:in photoshop you have the hand tool. this does nothing other than let you move the image around the screen - doesn't edit or make any changes.

sounds like you are talking about panning
pressing down the Space key does this, but i always use the scroll bars that appear when the canvas is at 100%

Adobe products have the tendency to make every little feat into a tool, which is kind of annoying when you come from a Gimp/Inkscape background like me
in Gimp /Inkscape a lot of functionality is just rolled into one tool, which may be more difficult to memorise at the beginning, but, imo, is more efficient in the end
My tuppence worth:

Quote:..Let's say I have a file that is 4000 x 4000...snip..I now want to save a version that is 1000 x 1000 as a JPG.

Gimp does not have a macro function. The clever guys say, write a script, assign it to a shortcut key. Forty years ago I found FORTRAN and punched cards easy. Now anything other than a few command lines are **** . I will use something else.

As earlier there is BIMP.
Not really what you need, It works with files on disk, so anything in GIMP has to be saved first. However, there is a 64 bit version that works with Windows Gimp 2.10.2
see: https://samjcreations.blogspot.ca/2018/0...ts_24.html

Looks like this (another one of my all-in-one-screenshots Smile which incidentally uses two home-made scripts one to scale 2/3rds size with a bit of sharpening and a second which exports to a 85 quality jpeg - save bandwidth - save the planet)

[Image: dF3Oou7.jpg]

(1) the image (2) a 50% scale setting (3) a brightness/contrast setting (4) export to a jpeg (5) the destination.
These can be saved in a 'preset' file for reuse later (6) is that scaled down jpeg in a viewer.

As well as the space bar use the little icon bottom-right of the image window - as above circled.