Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp channel tab on off change color selection.
Hello,

I'll would like to know how change color selection in the channel tab.

By default dark is active selection and light grey is off selection non active.

I ll find this way disturbing.

Ill prefer to make active >light or color and inactive> dark.

How I'll could change this setting to have that I ll want.

Thanks by advance for your help and tips.

Best regards.
Perhaps...
Creating a mask, selecting a copy of the channel with the Invert Mask option selected.

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
If I understand your question, you are referring to the colours of the channel dialog?:

Which Theme are you using? as this highlighting is controlled by the theme and you would need to create a new theme to alter it.
(08-31-2022, 05:37 PM)Kevin Wrote: If I understand your question, you are referring to the colours of the channel dialog?:

Which Theme are you using? as this highlighting is controlled by the theme and you would need to create a new theme to alter it.

And that would change the highlighting of the layers list as well?
(09-01-2022, 08:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: And that would change the highlighting of the layers list as well?

Apparently the channels and layers lists are using opposite styles of highlighting:

(09-01-2022, 05:28 PM)Kevin Wrote: Apparently the channels and layers lists are using opposite styles of highlighting:

Indeed, and it's always confusing me, even after so many years I still don't know if they are all selected by default or none of them are selected by default  Big Grin
Never did some searches, but today I wanted to clarify this out, thus that's not a mistake from the GIMP team, that's the way it suppose to be
I did a simple test ➤ drawing on a channel, selected one, and the draw appears on the other 3 channels, not the one I selected...

[Image: LPZGKWi.png]

➤ Thus by selecting you are un-selecting, which means all the channels are selected by default (which makes sense) but the "selection" style LOOKS opposite as the layer style... it is not, you just un-selected a channel

[Image: AiACrTZ.png]

BUT, if you "un-select" all, then "select" only one, the selection style now looks like the layer style...
Below un-selected all then "select" the blue channel, can draw on the blue channel and the style is as the layers' stack style...
it's because all channels are selected by default, thus the first thing we think of is they are not selected, but they all are, so we are un-selecting at FIRST when clicking on one channel the first time as my first screenshot.
If they are not selected by default we won't be able to draw or put a gradient or what's so ever, thus they are all selected.
Still truly disturbing, though, but it makes all sense Big Grin

[Image: DBX5LQ8.png]

This will make even more sense to every one with GIMP 3 (2.99) because we can select ALL layers at once, and just click one to un-select it Wink
(09-01-2022, 05:28 PM)Kevin Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 08:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: And that would change the highlighting of the layers list as well?

Apparently the channels and layers lists are using opposite styles of highlighting:

No they aren't. They both highlight the selected item(s). The difference it that in the Layers dialog, you have at most one item selected (the canonical case being just one item), while in the Channels RGBA you normally have all items selected. De-selecting a channel prevents the alteration of the corresponding item in the RGBA tuple:

And disabling alpha there gives the same result as alpha-locking the layer(a bit different because it applies to all layers...)

(09-01-2022, 08:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-31-2022, 05:37 PM)Kevin Wrote: If I understand your question, you are referring to the colours of the channel dialog?:

And that would change the highlighting of the layers list as well?

Hello, thanks for the response.

Yes it's that. I'll think dark for selection is not very ergonomic, And I ll would like to change that.
Thanks to PixLab and Ofnuts for pointing out my mistake.

It seems that the selection highlight is an image: menuitem.png so you would only need to find it in whichever theme you are using and make it look however you want: