Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp exports image upside down randomly
Hi!

I migrated yesterday coworker's workflow from Linux to Windows and got big surprise, that in some cases Gimp (2.10.14) exports image upside down. 

Our workflow follows:
* scan image upside down into TIFF
* open TIFF in Gimp
* rotate image 180 degrees
* crop image
* make needed improvements (levels, any corrections needed)
* scale image down
* export to original file/overwrite original file

After that we sometimes get image upside down, where all changes after rotating are fine. How is that possible? How to fix it?

The workflow under Linux was exactly same, but we never had such behavior.

TIA,

Gunnar

PS. I think, this topic is better suited to Gimp 2.10 subforum, but I don't see "Post Thread" button there.
What do you use to check the images? The Windows image viewer? Which version?

What I suspect is that the image is rotated out of the scanner just by adding to it an EXIF orientation flag, and that orientation flag is kept even though the saved bitmap is now natively oriented correctly. Some apps pay attention to the orientation flag and rotate the image accordingly, and some don't.

Can you post before/after sample images (they don't need to be big, a long at they make obvious which direction they should have)?
Hi!

Seems we figured out, problem was between the chair and the keyboard. The user was so confused of switching to Windows, that she randomly used "rotate" from Image menu and from View menu. And using "rotate" from View menu does not rotate the image itself, it just let view it from other perspective. 

Thank you for thinking along, long live the Gimp!

Wbr,
Gunnar