Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp freezing on Open/Export files
Hello, for a while now, gimp has been very slow or stops responding on every file operation. 

I have tried uninstaling gimp and even formated my compter recently, and i am still experiencing the same problem.

I have read on other threads about "phantom drives" which could caus gimp to freez but i have not found any of that on my computer, though i am not quite sur what to look for.

The only thing that works is right clicking a file and choosing "open with gimp".
All other file operations either take 10 minutes to load, or fail.

i have tried, uninstalling and re-installing
i have tried formating my computer
i have tried disconecting my computer from the internet

Thank you!
OK you've formatted your computer, so it's clean OS, which one? on your profile it's written Windows and Linux => problems are on Windows or Linux?
Which GIMP version?
Did you download it from there https://gimp.org ?
For Linux is it a PPA, AUR, FlatPak, snap, appimage, deb, rpm or so?

Uninstalling/re-install would mostly do no differences if you kept your profile (uninstall does not remove profile)
(04-05-2022, 01:43 AM)ratapof Wrote: Hello, for a while now, gimp has been very slow or stops responding on every file operation. 

I have tried uninstaling gimp and even formated my compter recently, and i am still experiencing the same problem.

I have read on other threads about "phantom drives" which could caus gimp to freez but i have not found any of that on my computer, though i am not quite sur what to look for.

The only thing that works is right clicking a file and choosing "open with gimp".
All other file operations either take 10 minutes to load, or fail.

i have tried, uninstalling and re-installing
i have tried formating my computer
i have tried disconecting my computer from the internet

Thank you!

If it's 10 minutes, then likely a network problem because IIRC there is a TCP/IP time out of 10 minutes. If you disconnect from all networks, are Gimp file menus faster?