Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp is no longer opening Images
Star 
Please I am in need of help. Gimp is no longer opening images Jpg, PNG or PSD again. Please how do I fix this ??. It keeps writing unknown file type when I try to open those file type Blush
Which OS? Did you do anything before this started?

Can you create a PNG using GIMP, save it, close GIMP and then try to open it again. See what happens.
To eliminate the ridiculously obvious - did you reboot?

The other day I got a "cannot open, file is damaged" message. After a reboot no problems opening the same image.
(12-22-2022, 12:45 PM)leonnova Wrote: ...Gimp is no longer opening images Jpg, PNG or PSD again.....

Again ? This has happened before ? How did you fix it ?

Are these files on your computer or on some cloud storage that you access ?

Please attach one of the jpg files for a check.
(12-22-2022, 12:52 PM)meetdilip Wrote: Which OS? Did you do anything before this started?

Can you create a PNG using GIMP, save it, close GIMP and then try to open it again. See what happens.

I tried this now. Tried saving it as a PNG file format. It not working, error message is filename is not in file extension

(12-22-2022, 01:30 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 12:45 PM)leonnova Wrote: ...Gimp is no longer opening images Jpg, PNG or PSD again.....

Someone had this issue and it was fixed. I tried following the person's way of doing it. But mine didn't working
(12-22-2022, 01:34 PM)leonnova Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 01:30 PM)rich2005 Wrote: ...Gimp is no longer opening images Jpg, PNG or PSD again.....

Someone had this issue and it was fixed. I tried following the person's way of doing it. But mine didn't working

If you are unable to give more information or attach one of the errant jpegs then can you take a screenshot of the error messages you get.

These are the sort of errors when the file-xxx plugins are missing, (1) trying to open (2) trying to export. What error messages do you get ?

(12-22-2022, 03:13 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 01:34 PM)leonnova Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 01:30 PM)rich2005 Wrote: ...Gimp is no longer opening images Jpg, PNG or PSD again.....

If you are unable to give more information or attach one of the errant jpegs then can you take a screenshot of the error messages you get.

These are the sort of errors when the file-xxx plugins are missing, (1) trying to open (2) trying to export. What error messages do you get ?
Number 2
That is a very economical reply. Still guessing as to your installation problem but...

You can try (an English language setup looks like this)

Go into Edit -> Preferences -> Folders (click on the + or > to expand)

Find the Plug-ins entry and click the Reset plug-ins Folders (top right corner) then restart Gimp.

Might / might not fix it.
(12-22-2022, 04:51 PM)rich2005 Wrote: That is a very economical reply. Still guessing as to your installation problem but...

You can try (an English language setup looks like this)

Go into Edit -> Preferences -> Folders (click on the + or > to expand)

Find the Plug-ins entry and click the Reset plug-ins Folders (top right corner) then restart Gimp.

Might / might not fix it.
Tried that now, but it's not working
(12-22-2022, 12:45 PM)leonnova Wrote: Please I am in need of help. Gimp is no longer opening images Jpg, PNG or PSD again. Please how do I fix this ??. It keeps writing unknown file type when I try to open those file type Blush

I really need help with this, nothing seems to be working