Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duplictated or Copy-Pasted Layers are not identical
I recently discovered that in my installation of Gimp, the edges of a png layer that is duplicated or copy-pasted will differ from the duplicate. Generally the duplicate will have parts of the edges cut in or other edges will extend out more. This happens even when no transformations or edits have been performed on the original layer. Hiding and unhiding one layer will show a visual difference, when to my understanding, this shouldn't be the case. Could there be something wrong with my settings that would cause something like this?
OK, so while working on something unrelated involving transparency, I believe I have found the cause. The image I was working with had semi-transparent pixels along the edges that I was unaware of, and stacking two semi transparent pixels on top of one another causes them to fill each other in and look less transparent, this is why hiding one of the identical layers caused the image to change. What proves this is that changing which of the two layers is on top does not change how the image looks, so they are in fact identical.
(06-25-2023, 12:24 PM)Meitheal Wrote: OK, so while working on something unrelated involving transparency, I believe I have found the cause. The image I was working with had semi-transparent pixels along the edges that I was unaware of, and stacking two semi transparent pixels on top of one another causes them to fill each other in and look less transparent, this is why hiding one of the identical layers caused the image to change. What proves this is that changing which of the two layers is on top does not change how the image looks, so they are in fact identical.

Yes, when you stack glass panes you discover than glass isn't 100% transparent either Wink

Otherwise, pretty well explained on Wikipedia