Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp, resizing and quality loss
Hi to everyone, i'm new to this forum and relatively new to the world of graphic manipulation.

I know this subject has been treated many times (in fact, i think i read all of the post about this very same problem), but still i can't make it work for me. And yes, i know also that probably i read the solution many times, but at this point i'm not able to understand it.

I'm aware that when i resize a rasterized image i get some degradation but:

1)Since i switched to V2.10 this got more and more noticeable. I mean, A LOT.

2)I have to create some banners and facebook image with my logo (wich i don't have anymore as vectors). I rebuild it from scratch with inkscape, but for whatever reason, in any format i try to import it into my gimp project, as soon as i scale it down, it becomes a tornado of pixels.

Thanks to everyone for your patience, end excuse my english.
If possible can you post a screenshot of Gimp with the 'tornado of pixels' logo.

and

Some things to check.
The mode of the destination image. Do not paste a RGB logo into an Indexed Image. Convert the Indexed image to RGB first.
The (quality) Interpolation setting. If None or Linear, change to NoHalo
Then the amount of scaling down, Anything more than 25% is going to give poor quality.

Quote:I rebuild it from scratch with inkscape
Can you expand on that? Do you have the logo as a vector, an SVG?
(09-02-2019, 09:55 AM)rich2005 Wrote: If possible can you post a screenshot of Gimp with the 'tornado of pixels' logo.

and

Some things to check.
The mode of the destination image. Do not paste a RGB logo into an Indexed Image. Convert the Indexed image to RGB first.
The (quality) Interpolation setting. If None or Linear, change to NoHalo
Then the amount of scaling down, Anything more than 25% is going to give poor quality.

Quote:I rebuild it from scratch with inkscape
Can you expand on that? Do you have the logo as a vector, an SVG?
Hi rich2005 and thank you for your reply.

I may have found a workaround (or solution): simply put, i work with a much bigger image, in proportion, than the final one.

I.E. if the Facebook template is 828x315, i create a new document that is 3312x1260, and that works.

Probably, this is what everyone does, but as i stated before, i'm not a graphic designer Big Grin

However, starting from the bottom:
1)yes, i have it as SVG file;
2)attached you find the turbolence i was talking about

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-02-2019, 11:47 AM)rebislori Wrote: I.E. if the Facebook template is 828x315, i create a new document that is 3312x1260, and that works.

The best is not to do any scaling at all. If a 828x315 image is required, then start off at that size.

The image you attached is 828x315. That includes the large white background. The logo itself is only 128 x108. That is a small image, not going to get fine detail out of that.

You have it as a svg. Export from Inkscape at the size you require. If 128x108 is required then export from Inkscape at that size, no bitmap scaling is required. You can get any size you want without the need for scaling.
(09-02-2019, 12:26 PM)Blighty Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 11:47 AM)rebislori Wrote: I.E. if the Facebook template is 828x315, i create a new document that is 3312x1260, and that works.

The best is not to do any scaling at all. If a 828x315 image is required, then start off at that size.

The image you attached is 828x315. That includes the large white background. The logo itself is only 128 x108. That is a small image, not going to get fine detail out of that.

You have it as a svg. Export from Inkscape at the size you require. If 128x108 is required then export from Inkscape at that size, no bitmap scaling is required. You can get any size you want without the need for scaling.

Thank you a lot, i really appreciate your efforts.

When i try to export from inkscape, if i reduce the size, it reduces the dpi as well. if i type "128" it goes down to 10 dpi.... maybe this is the problem?

EDIT: i attached the export at 128px
(09-02-2019, 01:09 PM)rebislori Wrote: When i try to export from inkscape, if i reduce the size, it reduces the dpi as well. if i type "128" it goes down to 10 dpi.... maybe this is the problem?

When you export from Inkscape the size in pixels is important. Don't worry about the dpi during the inkscape export.

A digital image only has a size in pixels. The dpi is just a dormant value stored inside the file. So for display on a computer screen etc it is the size in pixels that matters.

If you are going to print (eg on paper) the dpi comes into play. The dpi is used to calculate the print size in inches. In this case you can correct the inkscape dpi issue in Gimp. Open the png in Gimp. Go to Image > Print Size and set the dpi there. Note that the image size in pixels does not change when you do this.
(09-02-2019, 01:43 PM)Blighty Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 01:09 PM)rebislori Wrote: When i try to export from inkscape, if i reduce the size, it reduces the dpi as well. if i type "128" it goes down to 10 dpi.... maybe this is the problem?

When you export from Inkscape the size in pixels is important. Don't worry about the dpi during the inkscape export.

A digital image only has a size in pixels. The dpi is just a dormant value stored inside the file. So for display on a computer screen etc it is the size in pixels that matters.

If you are going to print (eg on paper) the dpi comes into play. The dpi is used to calculate the print size in inches. In this case you can correct the inkscape dpi issue in Gimp. Open the png in Gimp. Go to Image > Print Size and set the dpi there. Note that the image size in pixels does not change when you do this.

wel... this is what happens when exporting from inkscape Sad

Attached Files Image(s)

It is not Gimp or Inkscape, it is just the tiny size of the logo when rendered from an SVG.

I recreated (not quite the correct font) the SVG in a large size. Open in Gimp looks like this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/EMRYCnS.jpg nice crisp lines to the text.

Scaled down to the FB size this a comparison. https://i.imgur.com/yyDnA4J.jpg For this size Cubic interpolation gives as good a result as any other option.

Slightly fewer artifacts. I would go back and look at your SVG logo again, maybe you can clean it up. The FB logo? It is only 100 pix wide, try and edit at a pixel level to clean up. I do social-nothing but I believe FB trashes the images anyway.
(09-02-2019, 02:12 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It is not Gimp or Inkscape, it is just the tiny size of the logo when rendered from an SVG.

I recreated (not quite the correct font) the SVG in a large size. Open in Gimp looks like this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/EMRYCnS.jpg nice crisp lines to the text.

Scaled down to the FB size this a comparison. https://i.imgur.com/yyDnA4J.jpg   For this size Cubic interpolation gives as good a result as any other option.

Slightly fewer artifacts. I would go back and look at your SVG logo again, maybe you can clean it up. The FB logo?  It is only 100 pix wide, try and edit at a pixel level to clean up. I do social-nothing but I believe FB trashes the images anyway.

Ok; so, in the end the only working solution is to work with a page n-times larger than the final one.

Again Rich2005, thank you very much for your effort and your time!