Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp suddenly doesn't see my scanner
I've reinstalled the printer-scanner  and connected it to the wifi again.  Twice.  Driver is up-to-date.
Canon mx490
Gimp still sees the printer, but not the scanner.
It was working fine yesterday.  My wife's computer sees it.

My device manager now calls the printer-scanner "Unknown Device"
IDs it as a printer, locates it on the M490 series with a long number after it.
Says it is working properly.

Any help?

Thanks
It was working yesterday but not today with the new driver. What changed? Just had a look and the Canon mx490 has Win10 drivers, both 64 and 32 bit versions. Did you change the version?

There is a history of problems with the Gimp twain.exe plugin https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4210 but if it is working with your wifes computer bound to be some solution.
Thanks for response.

I didn't do anything consciously. Not thinking of any updates or anything that might have made an incidental change in the scanner. (Remember that Gimp sees the printer side of the same machine.) When I checked the driver yesterday before uninstall/reinstall, it said it had the most up-to-date driver.

Random thought: might it work with a separate scanner program? Is there a handy/easy one? (I'll look, but happy to have a recommendation.)

------>Oh, yeah, there's an app in Canon. I thought it was a pain in the rear and got rid of it awhile ago. I am trying to find and reinstall it. Let you know.
Quote:...snip...Random thought: might it work with a separate scanner program? Is there a handy/easy one?

Unlikely to work since you got: My device manager now calls the printer-scanner "Unknown Device"

Eventually it could still be a 32 / 64 bit problem The twain.exe plugin that comes with Gimp is 32 bit (even with 64 bit Gimp)

You could try IrfanView (32 bit version)
OK....
1) I'm having fits trying to install the Canon IJ app; still working on it. (It doesn't seem to be where they say it is in the download.)

2) With the 32/64 thing, this is getting a little over my paygrade.  
Are there nice Fordummies instructions for subbing in the 64-bit twain plugin?  Assuming there is one. Smile
You need to get the scanner driver recognised by Windows before even thinking about Gimp

You could try a different download site, although Canon probably will change to your county based on your IP address.

try https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/ans...windows%29 dated 03/22/2016

otherwise MP490 series MP Driver Ver. 1.05 (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP) File version: 1.05 Release date: 22 July 2015

so not particularly new https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer...mp490.html

gets a file mp68-win-mp490-1_05-ea24.exe size 20,933,776 B ..and it look like whatever you choose, you get 32 bit This is common, 32 bit software will work with both 32 and 64 bit Windows installations. Does this contain the scanner driver ? do not know.

Long time since I installed any Canon software, probably a wireless problem since that is what you want to install.
Thanks for hanging in here.

Noted that Open Office Writer has a scan fun function which also does not see the scanner.

At the moment trying to install Photohop Elements 11 from an old disc. Will certainly have to pay for it (if I even can.) Also can buy an Elements 2020 permanent license for $60. However, getting the scanner reinstalled on the computer seems, as you say, prerequisite. Will try again.....
Bizarre....It just started working again.
I have no explanation.  It's not in the Device Mgr.

But I was just able to scan from it into Gimp.

Any thoughts?

Another note: In earlier attempts, the installer did notice a printer, only gave a serial number. Turns out in retrospect, that was the SN of this printer. I was probably too tired at the time to go hunting for that number on the printer. (Turns out it's easy to find.)

More recent attempts found nothing.
....and it is gone again.

I'm going to try reinstalling a-GAIN. This time I may recognize the aliases.
Incidentally, Create---> shows up nothing, not even the mysterious WIA option.
NB---sometimes WIA seems to include the printer (in Elements 11)

I have obtained a 10' USB cable. Works plug-n-play there.
I might give it up and go wired and forget about this farrago. (Need longer cord than that. Printer is 3-4 feet behind my desk chair, but by the time I route a cable out of my way, might want even 20 feet; require something called an active USB cable to get over 15', eh?

I will duly report results.

Does seem to be a matter within my computer, though, if anything.