Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp won't let me fuzzy select either of these files...why?
When I try on the one with the title (the first) it says "cannot subtract from an empty selection"
On the one without (second) when I first open the file it says "Execution error for procedure 'gimp-image-set-color-profile': ICC profile validation failed: Color profile is not for grayscale color space" whatever that means. When I press ok then try to fuzzy select, it says the same thing as the other file. Why does it do this?
Ok doesn't seem to let me upload 2 files at once...I'll just upload the 1st then.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you want to use the black lines, you can use from the menu: colours / colour to Alpha: the result is a transparent layer with only black lines. If you want to place a drawing on your picture, then put it as a new layer below your B&W tranparent layer. 

(12-24-2019, 05:59 AM)marigolden Wrote: When I try on the one with the title (the first) it says "cannot subtract from an empty selection"

You get this when:
1) You do not have an active selection
2) For the Fuzzy Select tool, in the Tool Options the Mode is set to Subtract (3rd option).

Set the Mode to Replace (1st option) or Add (2nd option).
(12-24-2019, 08:00 AM)Blighty Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 05:59 AM)marigolden Wrote: When I try on the one with the title (the first) it says "cannot subtract from an empty selection"

You get this when:
1) You do not have an active selection
2) For the Fuzzy Select tool, in the Tool Options the Mode is set to Subtract (3rd option).

Set the Mode to Replace (1st option) or Add (2nd option).

I have it set at Normal. I don't see the Replace option. I put it at Addition but it still doesn't work Sad Maybe I should uninstall & reinstall? I have the 2.10.12 version, I read 14 is out
I reinstalled the new version out and it still doesn't work. Gr!! And it still doesn't have the "replace" mode that I can see.
(12-24-2019, 08:06 AM)marigolden Wrote: I have it set at Normal. I don't see the Replace option.

You are looking in the wrong place.

Have a look at the image below, then re-read my first post.

Attached Files Image(s)

As Blighty writes, however since I put this together ...

You need to know how the various modes of tools work. Not only the Select tool, the transform tools for example (rotate etc) have modes.

By default, each selection tool can exist with a different mode. Make a fuzzy select in replace mode switch to Color select and it might be in add mode if that is how you last used it.

For your image, some things to consider.

This is why you have no selection, fuzzy select in subtract mode. Nothing to subtract from.

Put it into replace mode and something to consider. The fuzzy select finds any tiny hole in the line, and the selection is all (the white). That might be ok or it might not. For just the outside fill in the holes.

..and an example of a different mode. This one addition mode. Note how the tool cursor gives an indication. Again needs an un-broken area.

--------
Why do Windows users insist on reinstalling Gimp at the drop-of-a-hat?  Very-very rarely required. Usually a setting that the user made, held in the Gimp profile which is not replaced. Up-dating Gimp however is ok.
Thanks you 2, it worked! I wish there weren't 2 places with the word "Mode" >< The interface could've varied it up with "Status" or something!

(12-24-2019, 09:39 AM)rich2005 Wrote: As Blighty writes, however since I put this together ...

You need to know how the various modes of tools work. Not only the Select tool, the transform tools for example (rotate etc) have modes.

By default, each selection tool can exist with a different mode. Make a fuzzy select in replace mode switch to Color select and it might be in add mode if that is how you last used it.

For your image, some things to consider.

This is why you have no selection, fuzzy select in subtract mode. Nothing to subtract from.

Put it into replace mode and something to consider. The fuzzy select finds any tiny hole in the line, and the selection is all (the white). That might be ok or it might not. For just the outside fill in the holes.

..and an example of a different mode. This one addition mode. Note how the tool cursor gives an indication. Again needs an un-broken area.

--------
Why do Windows users insist on reinstalling Gimp at the drop-of-a-hat?  Very-very rarely required. Usually a setting that the user made, held in the Gimp profile which is not replaced. Up-dating Gimp however is ok.

Yes I did think as much! Before thinking to reinstall I went to Edit>Preferences>Window Management>Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values. When that didn't work I figured I'd give a reinstall a try, it doesn't hurt anyway because then you get the latest updates right?
It's crazy though how reinstalling wouldn't reset the mode??
(12-24-2019, 05:21 PM)marigolden Wrote: It's crazy though how reinstalling wouldn't reset the mode??

I think that you would get a barrage of complaints if reinstalling (or more importantly installing a new version) reset all of the settings. If you really want this to happen you can just delete the relevant GIMP profile files - you don't even need to reinstall Wink
Quote:..It's crazy though how reinstalling wouldn't reset the mode??

You have think about the first time you installed Gimp.

Once the installation was complete, the first time you run Gimp your Gimp profile is created. After the installation

So any un-install or re-installation knows nothing about that Gimp profile.

Why is that useful? It means that when you up-grade Gimp to the latest version you do not have to re-configure all your gimp settings / reinstall all those scripts / plugins / fonts / brushes..etc.

One problem with the Gimp is that the current tool settings are saved when Gimp is closed down and by the time you next use Gimp you have forgotten what you set. This can be changed in Edit -> Preferences but leave that for a later date.