Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp won't reopen a saved xcf file!
Exclamation 
Hello!

I've encountered a really weird issue with Gimp and saved xcf files. After doing some work and saving as an xcf, nothing displays when I return to that work if I have closed Gimp entirely. My layers will display in the Layers dialog to my right, but all I see is a transparent layer. Everything is "visible" according to the eyes next to each layer. I also noticed that I cannot click on ANYTHING within Gimp - it just won't work. Does anyone have a clue to this? I'm using 2.10 on a fully updated MacBook Pro.
Most likely a MacOS problem. Unfortunately not many Mac users on this formum.

Can you rule that the .xcf file is the overall problem ? Does Gimp open and can you create a new blank canvas as the only open image or can you open any other sort of image without Gimp freezing ?

Probably that .xcf files is junk and corrupt in some way. Is it a large file / many layers ? A very large file might be running out of memory and spooling to disk, getting stuck.
(07-08-2020, 08:23 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Most likely a MacOS problem. Unfortunately not many Mac users on this formum.

Can you rule that the .xcf file is the overall problem ? Does Gimp open and can you create a new blank canvas as the only open image or can you open any other sort of image without Gimp freezing ?

Probably that .xcf files is junk and corrupt in some way. Is it a large file / many layers ? A very large file might be running out of memory and spooling to disk, getting stuck.

So I do think it was the particular xcf file, however I don't understand why. It's only 2 layers, approx 1300 x 1300 px, one color. I could open Gimp fresh and create something new with a new canvas, but only after closing the program entirely. If I tried to do anything while that file was active, nothing happened. The cursor wouldn't hi light any tool icons, I couldn't zoom in or out, everything lagged. 

Last night I deleted Gimp and re-installed it. Tried to open that same exact file again - it DID open and display the image, but nothing would happen when clicked on (same lagging as stated in prior paragraph). Something that I was able to do though was save my work as a png, delete that xcf file, and start a new canvas with my work... and that is where I am at currently.
Update...

I finished my project through opening as a new canvas with the png file. After saving NEW png files of the finished work, I saved a new xcf file of the work just in case. For experiment's sake, I tried to open that xcf and I got the same heavy lagging. I tested another saved xcf and had no issues with it - both of which were about the same size, and both were only one layer. The original problem xcf was created using two vector images, not sure if that would have anything to do with it...?

I'm glad I have my finished project, however I'd love to know what I did (or didn't do) to cause this so I can avoid it down the road.
(07-08-2020, 10:45 PM)godmoney Wrote: Update...

I finished my project through opening as a new canvas with the png file. After saving NEW png files of the finished work, I saved a new xcf file of the work just in case. For experiment's sake, I tried to open that xcf and I got the same heavy lagging. I tested another saved xcf and had no issues with it - both of which were about the same size, and both were only one layer. The original problem xcf was created using two vector images, not sure if that would have anything to do with it...?

I'm glad I have my finished project, however I'd love to know what I did (or didn't do) to cause this so I can avoid it down the road.

Can you share the bad XCF (dropbox or equivalent if >2MB)? If necessary PM me the URL
(07-09-2020, 08:07 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 10:45 PM)godmoney Wrote: Update...

Can you share the bad XCF (dropbox or equivalent if >2MB)? If necessary PM me the URL

I'd love to... but I deleted it. I've since opened other previously saved Gimp work with zero issues at all. I really don't understand.
Hi im having exactly the same problem.
Im finishing my project by saving it with PSD extension.

But i really want to work it by the normal way. Can please anyone help me?
The file is good because i tested it in a windows pc and it was just fine.. only this specific file in my mac stuck the others are perfectly running.

Thanks for the help.