Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gradient (Color to Transparent) Dithering Effect
For a school project, I need to make a linear gradient go from a color to transparent. I'm no stranger to using Gimp and I know the steps I need to take in order to achieve such an effect but a strange issue has been occurring. There's this weird dithering effect on the side that is supposed to be transparent.

I already unchecked the dithering option in the gradient tools but the effect still persists. I've looked up tutorials but none really seem to have this issue. I've even reinstalled Gimp but nothings changed. Does anyone have any idea of what's going on or what I'm doing wrong?
Looks like your gradient tool is in Dissolve paint mode instead of Normal.

In the Dissolve mode, (layer mode or paint mode), all pixels are fully opaque or fully transparent, depending on a random draw based on their opacity.
(02-09-2023, 12:50 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Looks like your gradient tool is in Dissolve paint mode instead of Normal.

In the Dissolve mode, (layer mode or paint mode), all pixels are fully opaque or fully transparent, depending on a random draw based on their opacity.

Ah, yep that was the issue. Thought I had to be doing something wrong. A little surprised that I didn't see that option before hand though. Kinda embarassing on my part.

Thank you  Big Grin