Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gradient implementation and opacity questions
Hello all, new here, and fairly new to Gimp.

Without overly complicating it, here what I am trying to achieve.

The image below is something I am trying to replicate. I'm going to create a wind dial for Rainmeter. However, there are two things I'm having trouble with, and hoping maybe you all can help me out.

As you can see the image is broken down into some type of gradient. How would I go about implementing that sort of gradient in my own circle? I am not using any actual part of the original image, so I am using it's size as a guide. Is there some way to divide a circle into 24 equal parts and bucket fill each one?

And here's the second one, that I think I already know an answer to, but as you can see below, the circle also doesn't have full opacity, meaning, the color values you see aren't what they would look like against my wallpaper, which is basically a replication of the "grid" background. Thus my question is, is there some kind of "smart" way to determine the color values shown below but what they would look like either with the black background removed OR if they were 100% opaque?

The end goal is to create an asset of higher resolution and quality, but with accurate color values and opacity reproduced by hand.  

Hope I explained correctly.

[Image: Ewxex1F.png]

1) My dial-marks script will generate a path with all the sectors (using marks that are so wide they are adjacent)(see bottom of paths display below)

2) The break-path-apart function in my ofn-path-edits scrpit will generate individual path for each sector. You can then use these to create a selection.

This is exactly what Color>Color to alpha will to if you ask it to remove the black. But I'm not sure this is the case here.
(03-30-2017, 07:18 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: 1

1) My dial-marks script will generate a path with all the sectors (using marks that are so wide they are adjacent)(see bottom of paths display below)

2) The break-path-apart function in my ofn-path-edits scrpit will generate individual path for each sector. You can then use these to create a selection.

This is exactly what Color>Color to alpha will to if you ask it to remove the black. But I'm not sure this is the case here.

Genius! Thank you so much!

Also, color to alpha worked wonderfully. I then used the color picker tool + shift to measure pixel opacity. Coming along great!