Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP Fill Whole Image
Good morning! I am needing some help with one of my images. I have a png image of the world map. I need to fill the entire image with a different color. And on a separate one, I need to fill the entire image with a pattern. I don't know how to fill in all of the tiny little islands on the map without having to click on each one. It would take forever. Also, I know how to do it with the paths tool. but on an image such as the world map, there are thousands of dips and curves, and if I don't get it perfect, the map will be ruined. Is there any way I can just select the clipart and fill the whole thing without drawing around it with the paths or laso? I am at a loss, and I see so many maps with different designs in them all the time, I know there has to be a way to do this!!

Thanks in advance  Heart
If the image has the continents on a transparent background, just set the alpha-lock for the layer, and then bucket-fill with the new color/pattern (no selection needed).

Otherwise:

- start the fuzzy select tool
- click on the oceans, to create a selection on them, and maybe shift-click on isolated oceans/seas/water bodies (Mediterannean, Black Sea, Caspian sea, Aral sea, Baltic Sea, Great Lakes, Baikal, Balkash...(*)) to add them to that selection
- Select>Grow by one or two pixels (the selection should enter the continents a bit)
- Colors>Color to alpha and remove the water color.

You should then have the continents/islands on their own layer, and you are back to the previous case.

(*) Some of these are geographically connected to the oceans, but on your map the connection could be too small for Gimp to notice.