Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOW to make a portable Gimp
1- HOW to make a portable gimp from installed one?  
-
2- HOW to make a portable gimp from portable one ( if you have already a portable one and you added your own brushes you made, plugins you prefer etc )  should i just re compress it (*edited part for clarity: so i can transfer or upload it ) 
and for installed one i just need to change folders path or there other steps.
You can take the whole Gimp 2 folder, copy to another location, including a USB memory stick and run from there.

examples: Gimp 2.8 https://i.imgur.com/gKAyLIM.jpg and Gimp 2.10 https://i.imgur.com/05eDsDr.jpg both on a memory stick.

but

They are not truly portable, they will create a user profile in C:\User\your-name\.....the same as a regular installation.

To make portable they need a load of environmental variables, setting paths to that user profile.

That is why a portable versions uses a launcher file (sometimes a batch file), to set those variables, before starting Gimp.

----------------------------
If you want to check these settings get the PortableApplications Gimp 2.8.22 which once installed, keeps a folder for inspection.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl...e/download Not a project to be undertaken lightly.

Note this is a 32 bit only Gimp so any something.exe plugins such as resynthesizer.exe need to be 32 bit.
---------------------------

The portable versions

These keep the user profile within the application folder system. Example the Partha version uses ...\Data\.gimp\..

Put your resources, plugins, scripts, plugins, fonts in the appropriate section and they are there wherever you take the installation. No need to re compress anything, change folders, ... That is why it is portable.
(08-13-2018, 05:36 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Put your resources, plugins, scripts, plugins, fonts in the appropriate section and they are there wherever you take the installation. No need to re compress anything, change folders, ... That is why it is portable.
i meant here if i want to copy it to another computer upload it etc , so i just put the files and compress it and there will be no problems ?
If you have a portable Gimp and want it on another computer, just copy the files ( use a memory stick) and put onto the other computer.

The only reason that you might want to compress (as in zipped) files is to save bandwidth if you are uploading to some cloud storage then later downloading to a different computer. Then you have to un-compress before you can use it.
(08-13-2018, 06:13 PM)rich2005 Wrote:  just copy the files ( use a memory stick) .
-
The only reason that you might want to compress (as in zipped) files is to save bandwidth if you are uploading to some cloud storage then later downloading to a different computer. Then you have to un-compress before you can use it.
of course i will do that (red lines)  :") 
-
(green) that is the reason that is question  if i compress files in RAR or ZIP file direct and transfer it or upload it, will it work without any other steps .. my mistake i did not make it clear at first post. so it sounded like self evident question. 
-
DONE THANKS rich2005 . from my first thread here you always help.