Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loss of quality while trying text effects
When I try to add a gradient to the text by selecting it using " Select by colour" or " Magic wand tool ", I get distorted effect like this. Not sure what is the best way to select the text without these burrs at the edges

It is far from smooth in most cases

[Image: cvOh2NE.png]
Make sure you have antialising on when you create your text. Because Gimp works with pixels your text will have a stair effect. There is a couple ways to minimise the effect.
Before adding your gradient, select your text and turn the selection to a path then back to a selection to add your gradient.
You can also try to blur your text a little. To keep it reasonably sharp select the text then add a 1-2 pixel border and only blur that
[attachment=8437]

Smile
(08-02-2022, 04:22 AM)meetdilip Wrote: When I try to add a gradient to the text by selecting it using " Select by colour" or " Magic wand tool ", I get distorted effect like this. Not sure what is the best way to select the text without these burrs at the edges  

One problem with colour or fuzzy select is it is 100% opaque or nothing, you lose any anti-aliasing.

For text set the layer alpha lock ON before fill or gradient or painting. That retains any semi-transparency.

Example. Same text, top is colour select, bottom is alpha lock on.

(08-02-2022, 05:59 AM)sallyanne Wrote:
Make sure you have antialising on when you create your text. Because Gimp works with pixels your text will have a stair effect. There is a couple ways to minimise the effect.
Before adding your gradient, select your text and turn the selection to a path then back to a selection to add your gradient.
You can also try to blur your text a little. To keep it reasonably sharp select the text then add a 1-2 pixel border and only blur that

I did try Antialising. Even tried switching it off and ON to see how it affects.

Still to try selection to path. Not sure where the option, will try to hunt it down.

Making the selection grow by a few pixels does sound like a great idea.

Thanks.

@rich2005

Lock Alpha Channel works great. Thanks.