Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Gimp stopped working.
I upgraded to Big Sur. Now I have Gimp issues. I try to download the latest gimp but see on the website that GIMP 2.10.22 build for macOS - has known performance issues on Big Sur. Perhaps my issues are more serious than the normal ones that they're talking about.

Whenever I use paintbrush, Gimp becomes slow. This isn't the usual slow. It's so slow that it's almost unusable.
I don't have a solution for you unfortunately, but I have seen other posts that mentioned the only MacOS developer has been absent for a number of weeks which has prevented any fixes. Someone on one of the forum posts had some success with going back to GIMP 2.8, not sure if that is an option for you or not.

- E
Is gimp backwards compatible? I would like to install gimp 2.8 but would I be able to open the files that were created in gimp 2.10?

Another question that I have. I understand that the osx developer of gimp has been absent for several weeks. Is there any way that I can set up a notification that he's back and has fixed the big sur issue?
You can follow the issue tracker and see the progress addressing the problem https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/5989
Quote:Is gimp backwards compatible? I would like to install gimp 2.8 but would I be able to open the files that were created in gimp 2.10?

Gimp .xcf files are not generally compatible with Gimp 2.8 unless you make sure all layers and modes are in legacy mode. There is a message bottom of the save Image dialogue about compatibility.  Attached a plugin to set an open image into a compatible format. Not always 100% effective. 

Quote:Is there any way that I can set up a notification that he's back and has fixed the big sur issue?

Nothing automatic that I know. Just keep looking at the gimp.org site. There have been some recent changes.

Attached Files
.zip   to_legacy_modes.zip (Size: 2.04 KB / Downloads: 75)