Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help: Issue with changing image to halftone with transparency backgroung
I was following along with a YouTube tutorial on converting a photo into halftones.
I followed step by step however when I completed the steps I still had a white background (after inverting color for black tshirt) the tutorial showed the exact image as I had however the background was transparent (checkerboard) I'm so frustrated I understand gimp has a learning curve it's just discouraging on what is a fairly simple thing as this to keep finding yourself not accomplishing what seems simple.
(07-12-2022, 12:04 AM)Zodiak1970 Wrote: I was following along with a YouTube tutorial on converting a photo into halftones.
I followed step by step however when I completed the steps I still had a white background (after inverting color for black tshirt) the tutorial showed the exact image as I had however the background was transparent (checkerboard) I'm so frustrated I understand gimp has a learning curve it's just discouraging on what is a fairly simple thing as this to keep finding yourself not accomplishing what seems simple.

If I knew which tutorial you followed the steps from, it might be possible to imagine where you might have strayed.

The more information the easier it is for us to try to guess something.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(07-12-2022, 12:04 AM)Zodiak1970 Wrote: is a fairly simple thing as this to keep finding yourself not accomplishing what seems simple.

This sub-forum is Tutorials and tips (Post your tutorials or tips here (and do not post links to tutorials on other sites)...
That's the wrong sub-forum for your question thus you missed a step Big Grin
It's also fairly simple to miss some steps in a video tutorial, did you watch the full video a second time, slowly?

I concur with @Krikor, I would add a screenshot of your end result with the full UI/layers' stack, and the link to that video will help us help you, but for the moment we have no idea what you were doing.
Quote:...snip...I understand gimp has a learning curve it's just discouraging on what is a fairly simple thing as this to keep finding yourself not accomplishing what seems simple.

Guessing this was not a Gimp tutorial or was something ancient.

Apply the GEGL newsprint filter to an image with transparency and the transparency is replaced. The alpha channel filled with white. You can duplicate the alpha channel before applying newsprint and restore via a selection / cut selection. The image still has an alpha channel. 

An easier way is isolate the area with a selection before applying newsprint.

If your image already has a transparent background, get the selection from Layers -> Transparency -> Alpha to selection  Otherwise use one of the selection tools (depends on image background)
Remember to remove the selection on completion Select -> None

Another way if the image already has transprency. Lock the alpha channel for that layer (it is per layer). Top of the layers dialogue
Remember to toggle off when finished.

Edit: It might help understanding the origins of half-toning. It is to provide shading to what otherwise would be solid colour. It is a printing process. There is no white ink. The colour of the printed-on material (paper / cloth) replaces the white in the image. For printing purposes the transparent background is not required.

here is my results, I have 2 layers the registration marks and the design.

Tutorial link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OxuDf2juJA
If I only follow the tutorial I can recreate the image with the background being transparent however with the 2 layers I can not.

I added the second attachment with the registration marks and the template layers off so the issue with the design is more easily seen.

If anyone can help me understand what I am doing that is creating this issue I would appreciate it.
(07-12-2022, 02:16 PM)zodiakteez Wrote: here is my results, I have 2 layers the registration marks and the design.

If I only follow the tutorial I can recreate the image with the background being transparent however with the 2 layers I can not.
I added the second attachment with the registration marks and the template layers off so the issue with the design is more easily seen.
If anyone can help me understand what I am doing that is creating this issue I would appreciate it.

(07-12-2022, 12:04 AM)Zodiak1970 Wrote: I followed step by step however when I completed the steps I still had a white background

Already at 0:25 he is selecting the background with the fuzzy select tool then he delete the selected background by going to Edit ➤ Clear -> which you did NOT do...
BTW untick the "eye"/visibility of your own white background (bottom layer) to get the same result
(07-12-2022, 03:11 PM)PixLab Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 02:16 PM)zodiakteez Wrote: here is my results, I have 2 layers the registration marks and the design.

(07-12-2022, 12:04 AM)Zodiak1970 Wrote: I followed step by step however when I completed the steps I still had a white background

Already at 0:25 he is selecting the background with the fuzzy select tool then he delete the selected background by going to Edit ➤ Clear -> which you did NOT do...
BTW untick the "eye"/visibility of your own white background (bottom layer) to get the same result

My image starts with a transparent background, once I start the Filters --> newsprint   process the background fills with first black then when I invert color to white.
(07-12-2022, 04:26 PM)Frankwpb1970 Wrote: My image starts with a transparent background, once I start the Filters --> newsprint   process the background fills with first black then when I invert color to white.

Um... no, you did not delete the background.
Yours

His, selecting the BG with the fuzzy tool

Then his BG deleted

@Zodiac1970 Do you never read anything other than the last post ?  I wonder why I get annoyed Wink

Go back and look at where I referenced the alpha lock 

Your tutorial (as suspected ) is old, Gimp 2.8 and the old Newsprint plugin is different to the Gimp 2.10 GEGL Newsprint filter. As you found transparency is replaced by solid.  Use the layer Alpha Lock to prevent this.

It then becomes (as with your other posts) a screen printing question. Some hints

Starting with similar size canvas to yours and greyscale 

With Alpha Lock ON, a temporary black background to simulate the black tee shirt, use either White-on-Black or Black-on-white color model (which ever pleases you most)

Then it depends if you are going to get it printed. White on Black material means using white paint through a screenprint mask.

If you send it off to a printing company the Black pattern on White might do. Tell them to print it white. Some rely on 'spot colours' where the colour to use is noted on the image. Speak to your printer. Ask what they require

If you are making your own screenprint mask using a photo-sensitive mask material.
White (nothing is printed on the material) is exposed, and prevents ink/paint . Black (printed on the material) is un-exposed, removed and allows ink/paint through.
To get an image for printing the mask invert the image Colours -> Invert  If you are making your own mask consult the manufacturers instructions.

I do read all post, thank you everyone!

I did start with an image that had transparency( I have several images saved in my photos file on the computer which I use to try to create designs).

I am working currently and unable to post lengthy replies, later I will post how my design looks from the start and then exactly what I am doing.

Thanks again everyone for trying to help me out her its greatly appreciated.