Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Color Seperation
I am new to using Gimp, I am trying to take an image and separate the colors for screen printing.

I have tried following different video & online articles that explain the process however I continue to run into issues, perhaps I am not understanding the issue or I am using an image that cant be separated?

I have included a couple of attachments to show what I am trying to separate and I will also show what results I have achieved.

Image 1 - is the image created using a photo then adding text

I tried to separate the first color flesh/skin by :
selecting the color tool
I then clicked on the skin of the image
I copied the selection(ctrl+C)
I pasted the image(ctrl+V)
I clicked on the floating layer and clicked new layer
Image 2 is what appeared ( the black outline of the wrestler)

However when I would repeat this step for the next color ex. the red background behind the wrestler I would get nothing.

Is the problem the image I am using or something I am doing?

Thanks for any all information.

Attached Files Image(s)

I do not think that your image is a suitable subject for screen printing.  Are you planning to screen-print yourself or send off a graphic (s) to a printing company.

I have no link to this company but it is a better explanation of home screen-printing than I can make. https://www.dharmatrading.com/home/scree...heets.html

It is one mask per colour. The red blocks / the blue blocks / the script (different red) but then what do you do with the figure ? How many colours in that. Use the posterize filter to get an example, this is 6 colours = 6 masks (screens). White is no-colour. It is the colour of the the paper / material you print on.

If it is printing company,
Ask if they accept RGB images Gimp is an RGB editor.
If no to RGB ask if they accept CMYK color separated images. Use an online conversion service such as https://www.rgb2cmyk.org/ and get a cmyk jpeg
OK back to your question:

Quote:However when I would repeat this step for the next color ex. the red background behind the wrestler I would get nothing.

Use the color select tool on the original image. The red area for example. Make a new white layer, Fill the selection with black. That is the image for the red mask. Repeat for the other areas needed for the screenprint.

Trying out some G'MIC filters and discovered that one might be the one for this.
Filters ➤ G'MIC ➤ Layers ➤ Tones to Layers