Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help, how do I convert something I edited back into a PDF losing all the other pages?
I'm using Windows 10, using Gimp version 2.10.8. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to using gimp. 

I am trying to clean up some PDFs I have of some game manuals and once I'm done editing them, whenever I try to export it I'm stuck with just the first page. 

I'm trying to look for a more streamline way of doing this. 

What I've been doing:  Right click>Open with GIMP (2.10.8) > Import from PDF (I can choose from opening pages as Layers or Images, not sure which to use) > Finish editing/cleaning up images > ??? From here I have no idea how to convert it back into the same PDF (pages all in the same order) because when I try it, everything gets merged into a single image on a single page (meaning just the first page is shown, nothing else)

I feel like there should be a simple way of editing one or two pages and just saving/exporting it back to pdf. Hoping someone here can help me out.
When Opening the pdf Gimp:
Open pages as Layers
Set Resolution to 300 pixels/in

When Exporting as pdf
Check Layers as pages
You will probably need to check Reverse the pages order

Note: If the original pdf contains text and vectors these will be converted to bitmaps when opening in Gimp.
(02-20-2019, 06:29 AM)Blighty Wrote: When Opening the pdf Gimp:
Open pages as Layers
Set Resolution to 300 pixels/in

When Exporting as pdf
Check Layers as pages
You will probably need to check Reverse the pages order

Note: If the original pdf contains text and vectors these will be converted to bitmaps when opening in Gimp.

Thank you so much for the reply. Worked great, only one hitch, since my pages aren't all the same length/height it fills the extra space with white. I'm assuming it has something to do with how I set the resolution or something?

https://imgur.com/ayHJZT7 <---the image on the left is the original, but after I edit and export I'm left with those extra white boxes. What would I do to make it match the first example? The image on the left is the original, but after I edit and export I'm left with those extra white boxes. What would I do to make it match the first example?
(02-20-2019, 07:07 AM)Frus8edDude Wrote: Worked great, only one hitch, since my pages aren't all the same length/height it fills the extra space with white.
....but after I edit and export I'm left with those extra white boxes.

I don't know how to fix that in Gimp. Maybe someone can help.

All I can think of is set up a document in Libre Office or Scribus. The size of individual pages can be set. Then copy the edited images from Gimp and paste them into that document and export from there.
I think it is this: The first page is horizontal and that sets the canvas size. Vertical pages are therefore truncated.

All the pages need to be the same orientation - horizontal

Open the PDF as images, then rotate the vertical images to horizontal Image -> Transform -> Rotate

Then a choice, and for a beginner the safest might be save each image as a gimp xcf. Then, starting afresh, File -> Open as Layers all the .xcf files. That gets a stack of layers. Now Export as a PDF.

The other way is moving the images into a singe image as layers, Edit -> Copy Edit -> Paste Layer -> To New Layer or click and drag from tab to tab.

A quick 3 minute video of the process that might help https://youtu.be/8mBFaXf8o4U
(02-20-2019, 02:46 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I think it is this: The first page is horizontal and that sets the canvas size. Vertical pages are therefore truncated.

All the pages need to be the same orientation - horizontal

Open the PDF as images, then rotate the vertical images to horizontal Image -> Transform -> Rotate

Then a choice, and for a beginner the safest might be save each image as a gimp xcf. Then, starting afresh, File -> Open as Layers all the .xcf files. That gets a stack of layers. Now Export as a PDF.

The other way is moving the images into a singe image as layers, Edit -> Copy Edit -> Paste Layer -> To New Layer or click and drag from tab to tab.

A quick 3 minute video of the process that might help https://youtu.be/8mBFaXf8o4U

That video (Re-Assemble an imported PDF) made all the difference. Thank you for taking the time for that. Still took me a while to figure out (Was dealing with 40+ pages so I ended up just using a few pages like the example to play around with it till I got the hang of it). I ended up cutting the layers and pasting them rather than copying and pasting since it was making it hard to keep track of which pages I had done already. Afterwards deleting the empty layers I cut from. Worked out very well. 

Also appreciate the tip from Blighty and yourself on setting the resolution to 300 as well. I have been fretting over this for a few days and now finally can just start plugging away. Thank you guys so much ! Big Grin