Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help, how to resize brushes?

Every time I stamp down a brush and then select the resize tool it wants me to resize the entire layer. I know I must be doing something wrong but can't figure it out.

These are Photoshop .ABR  brushes. I just simply dragged and dropped them into the GIMP2.0/Brush folder.
There is a brush size slider in the Tool options of tools that use brushes (Brush, Pencil, Eraser...)
(02-13-2019, 10:46 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: There is a brush size slider in the Tool options of tools that use brushes (Brush, Pencil, Eraser...)

oh, I the "Brush Editor" buried in the menu's. If I double click the BRUSH icon it will launch it. Thanks!

That brush editor is only for "parametric brushes" (circles, squares...). The brush size slider is on your screeshot, half hidden by the popup menu...
(02-13-2019, 10:44 PM)StylinLP38 Wrote: Every time I stamp down a brush and then select the resize tool it wants me to resize the entire layer. I know I must be doing something wrong but can't figure it out.

These are Photoshop .ABR  brushes. I just simply dragged and dropped them into the GIMP2.0/Brush folder.

As an alternative to the slider in the toolbox the [ and ] keys decrease and increase the tool (brush) size by 1.

Using the Shift key in combination with the above keys is supposed to change the size by 10 - unfortunately this doesn't work (at least for a UK keyboard) since Shift + [ isn't recognised (I believe that this was reported as a bug some time ago). The answer is to use "Edit/Keyboard Shortcuts" and type "size" (all without quotes) in the search box. Then assign the { key to the "Tool's Size: Decrease by 10" action and the } key to the "Tool's Size: Increase by 10" action. Then, in effect, the shift key magnifies the changes.

Sometimes using the keyboard short-cuts can be easier than going to the toolbox and adjusting the slider.
Awesome, thank you! Stuff is hard to find.

Now that I figured out how to resize a brush how do you rotate and move it once the object is stamped down? When I try to use the resize or move tool it wants to resize or move the entire layer. I just want to effect the object. I can use the Fuzzy Select tool to select it but why do I have to perform such an extras step? It take more time and it makes the brush "fuzzier".
(02-17-2019, 06:35 AM)StylinLP38 Wrote: Now that I figured out how to resize a brush how do you rotate and move it once the object is stamped down?

Before you us the brush create a new transparent layer. Use the brush on this layer.
If necessary, after using the brush on this layer you can do Layer > Crop to Content
Now you can rotate, move, resize etc.
You can also rotate the brush (Angle slider below the Size one in the Tool options).
Im so confused, everything I try doesn't work at all. I cant resize. I cant select, I can paint. I cant do anything. All I want to do is paint in my farm fields with that farmfield pattern. I gave up trying to make a brush to paint that texture with so then I tried creating a separate layer, stamp down 4 of those patterns next to each other. Select all 4 patterns to make 1 pattern. Then I tried clicking the Resize tool but it doesn't effect those patterns at all. All it does is resize the select tool. I even tried pressing 
"Make select from Alpha" command, that does nothing. Im at a loss. I have farm field Brushes and farm field Patterns. Why does this have to be so difficult? Been working on this map for a week now.

EDIT UPDATE: I reduced the size of my brush and stamped down over a dozen farmfield plots then added transparency to that layer then used black color to erase over the plot lines.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)